Re: Birdswell Britches

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by davesburgers, Mar 8, 2017.

1. davesburgers

davesburgers Member

Sep 4, 2015
    USA New York
    sightpoint and Tully like this.
  2. pursuitofnow

pursuitofnow Member

Jun 29, 2013
    SF
    Partnerships with companies like j.crew doesn't sound like "protecting the legacy".

robsawyer likes this.
  3. sightpoint

sightpoint Active Member

Jan 28, 2014
    2' and onshore
    Natas is their creative director? Rad!

4. pursuitofnow

pursuitofnow Member

Jun 29, 2013
    SF
    That is rad! It's also great IMO that the company is making the necessary changes to survive (online vs. telephone).

Doesn't change the fact though, for me at least, the part of me that identifies with the Birdwell brand does NOT identify with J.Crew brand.

BrazilButtNut and sightpoint like this.
  5. sightpoint

sightpoint Active Member

Jan 28, 2014
    2' and onshore
    Agreed. J Crew seems to just co-opt established brands for their own use and profit. It's lame.

NoseRideTheWhip likes this.
  6. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    I love the 2 or 3 pair of Birdwells that I have. I'll never buy another pair. Last pair I ordered years ago was such a pain in the ass. What a goofy, troubled company. Things may have changed but they had a major...your lucky we are selling you our overpriced boardshorts attitude. Website was straight out of 1996. Lady on the phone was crazier than a shit house rat.
    Bought a pair of Katins a few years back. Every bit as good..Zero hassle. If it takes J.Crew to save them...so be it. Plus...anytime I read "lean" manufacturing, safety, managrment...think a core group of douchebags exploiting workers like Amazon.

7. NoseRideTheWhip

NoseRideTheWhip Active Member

Jul 29, 2014
    Sandstone Retreat, CA
    Share the sentiment. There used to (and may still) be a website detailing how impossible ordering from her was. Reading the comments was always worthy of a good lol.

PeakMaster likes this.
  8. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    NoseRideTheWhip likes this.
  9. sightpoint

sightpoint Active Member

Jan 28, 2014
    2' and onshore
    Actually, after reading the above, I like them more. Sometimes crazy makes sense.

10. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I think that's probably the takehome from this article -- that J.Crew account will probably give them a really healthy boost of business by way of volume.

I don't think there's any doubt that they are taking the company in a better direction overall. Under the old owners, I bought 1 single pair. Under the new owners, I have already bought several. (A lot of that is because of the big "vintage pricing" sales, but still.) I have thought more about Birdwells in the past year than I ever have, which is part of the battle.

And cool that Natas is involved. I didn't know that.