Podcasts: Surfing or Otherwise

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by houseofsuffering, Jul 30, 2018.

1. houseofsuffering

houseofsuffering Active Member

Nov 1, 2005
    XXX
    I've started going down the rabbithole of podcasts. I'm late to the game for sure, but the fact you can find people as amped on the niche shit you're into is pretty cool. That being said, I feel like not all podcasts are created equal. I don't have a long commute, so I like short ones, although I do have one music specific podcast that I love and it's looooooong.

Another thing: I like podcasts where the dude running it lets the guests do most of the talking. I'm not interested in hearing Podcast's guy's resume of what an insider he is. Another music one I used to listen to was too much of the host acting like he knows every band or record pressed in existence. However, if the guest is good enough, I'll suffer through it.

Surfing-wise I listen to the Bodega Boarder Crew when the guest interests me. While I love old school hip hop, I think the pairing with surfing is kinda an odd one, but whatever, shoot your shot.

I really like Occy's podcast because it's short, it's got good guests and stories. The Christian Fletcher one is a fav.

I tried that Swell Season Radio but didn't really go back to it.

Any other GOOD surfing podcasts out there? I feel like the world needs a cool surfboard shaping podcast. Maybe I'm wrong.

2. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016

Occy’s imterview with Fletcher is great.

3. Nilus

Nilus Active Member

Jun 30, 2008
    The surf splendor interviews with shapers and other industry folks are excellent, IMO. Wayne Rich, Parmenter, Lovelace, Josh Hall, Superwolf, etc.

houseofsuffering likes this.
  4. houseofsuffering

houseofsuffering Active Member

Nov 1, 2005
    XXX
    Sounds cool. Thanks!

5. michael

michael Active Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    Mike's surf a pig podcasts are fun if you haven't listened to them yet.

Also, I enjoyed episode 032 of the Surf Mastery podcast. "Matt Griggs - Busting Through Terminal Mediocrity" .. About slowing everything down and incorporating meditation practice into your life, then translating that into the water.

sonOsea and miscreant like this.
  6. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    Thanks! Personally, I'm not interested in listening to surfers talking about surfing. I do love to hear surfers talking about other stuff. I'm going to work my tech shit out to where I can get get others involved easily. Thank you for the support!

I'm always keen to hear suggestions for future topics. Let me know!!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  7. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    I like surf simply a lot for surf-based podcasts - pretty intelligent discussions and good interviews when they do them (I even got a couple of listener email questions read on there lately!). It’s a bit longer, but worth checking out.

8. Clomics

Clomics Active Member

Nov 5, 2012
    https://boardroomshow.com/podcast/ has been good so far. Mostly interviews with shapers and industry people. Lately, it has been focused on the debate between american made boards and import boards. I don't have unbreakably strong convictions on the subject, but it has been interesting to hear different sides in the argument.

9. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    "Pod Save America"

10. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    "Matt Griggs - Busting Through Terminal Mediocrity" - Really stoked to listen to this!
    Thank you Michael.

EDIT- Dude! The one before it is Taylor Knox -bonzer disciple of the first order, power surfer, and good dude. It's entitled Awareness, feeling and connection and is apparently the pre-cursor to the Matt Griggs one. Very Stoked!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    michael likes this.