Petrillo info

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by DJR, Jan 2, 2019.

1. DJR

DJR Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    can someone give me a history of Petrillo? I keep seeing them pop up and am really intrigued- Is he still around? Where did he shape out of and for how long? Etc?

BrazilButtNut likes this.
  2. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    They were out of Orange county in SoCal. I think they started at the end of the longboard era or early in the transition era. They ran ads in the mags with some wild colored glass jobs and had some big name surfers in the ads. I never had one, but a buddy still has one he bought back in 1968. His is shaped better than some of the transition boards, the tail is too thick, but still not too bad. He rides it every now and then. I think Petrillo was done by the early to mid 70's.

DJR likes this.
  3. kclibman

kclibman Active Member

May 23, 2018
    L.A. County
    Think his stuff was either shaped, sold or both out of Froghouse in Newport. Had an insane, insane S-deck single fin v-bottom with pins, high-aspect glassed-on speed fin by Petrillo a couple years back, crazy board.

DJR likes this.
  4. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    A comet. Was there, made an impact at such an important time and then was gone. He had a deep inroad into the South Bay with Dru & Tiger riding his boards. I drill down for some old afs and post up.

DJR likes this.
  5. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    MIssion Viejo, California
    Last I looked, the Froghouse was still there. I bet you stop by you can get all the info you need. I had a 7ā€™2ā€ Gyro that was a lot of fun.

John

6. DJR

DJR Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    Appreciate the info everyone. For some reason Iā€™m fascinated by these boards now. Definitely favorite period second only to pre-war rides
    kclibman and Veterano I did see really beautiful one -
    http://surfboardline.com/petrillo/

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019