OIL ON THE BEACH

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by deepsouth, Jun 1, 2010.

1. deepsouth

deepsouth New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA
    Rats! The entire northern Gulf Coast will soon be shut down. Thousands of businesses will fold and people will lose their jobs. Can they move somewhere else? Not likely. Who wants to buy a house on the Gulf Coast right now, or in the future when there are no jobs?

BP repeatedly ignored standard safety procedures in an effort to maximize profits. They ignored their own data from the well. They are using dispersant under the surface to keep the oil from getting to the surface where it can be cleaned up. But it's still oil and it's still in the water.

BP HAS RAPED US!

2. fingers1

fingers1 New Member

Jun 1, 2007
    USA
    how the hell are you allowed to drill five thousand feet beneath the surface without a viable, proven contingency plan?

3. deepsouth

deepsouth New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA
    There are rules, regulations and safety procedures. When followed, along with the use of a functioning blowout preventer, there is a very small chance of this happening. Unfortunately, BP didn't employ any of these measures, even to the point that they knew the BOP wasn't right but kept on anyway. Once you have a blowout at such a depth, your options are limited. The government didn't enforce the regulations and BP ignored standard safety practices. That's how it happened. People didn't do their jobs. They should go to jail.

4. sc-longboarder

sc-longboarder New Member

Feb 17, 2004
    USA South Carolina
    they should go to jail but the damage is already done. like killing someone but it's to late for the victims. this is just terrible and it will take years for things to get back to close to normal.

5. skeeter

skeeter New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    USA Delaware
    "renewable energy sources aren't viable." the bullsh!t line of the century.
    oh, yea, let's go heavy into nuke energy too, where the waste is toxic for a quarter million years.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

This and the flooding of New Orleans are two things that have forebodingly haunted me since the early eighties when I lived in SE Louisiana and studied the ecology of the marshes and tributaries from Bayou Sauvage to Ocean Springs. Tears are welling up now as I mourn the loss of natural beauty and diversity of such a rich ecosystem.

BP was a willing accomplice, and they may even be guilty of 11 counts of negligent homicide, but we are all of us willing accomplices in the murder of the Gulf Coast. Convenient auto and plne travel, the ability to hop in and cruise to find the best break for a particular swell, the second fridge where we store our beer, the lights we use to grow our "vegetables," our plasma screen TV's, these were the weapons we used to gut the Gulf.

We are all complicitous in allowing 30 years of roll backs in government oversight and weakness in fiduciary stewardship to erode our ability to do anything important the right way.Our demands for growth in our 401(k) and stocks, demands that drove corporations to push back hard on regulations, and our nation's fetish for David Stockman's Reaganomics fantasy, where tax cuts and military spending were seen as utterly compatible, all the time denying funds to develop alternative energy technologies.

I blame Reagan. I Blame Bush the smarter and Bush the dumber, I blame Clintonian Democratic political triangulation and compromise on critical issues like energy independence and the environment. I blame Al Gore and Joh Kerry for being spinelss pussies with no core principles.

But mostly I blame our selfish, narcissistic, consumerist society for killing the beauty and future of my precious Gulf Coast. This morning I apologized to every pelican that flew by the lineup, and felt as empty as ever over their cousins' fate.

7. slosurf

slosurf Active Member

Sep 1, 2004
    USA Maryland

Attached files
    [​IMG]

8. slosurf

slosurf Active Member

Sep 1, 2004
    USA Maryland

Attached files
    [​IMG]