Noserider for small weak mushy summer waves

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Gallery, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Gallery

Gallery Member

Jul 3, 2018
    New Jersey
    What log designs do you find have the most hold and stability for noseriding in super small weak east coast summer type waves?

I fully realize that walking to the tip is best performed in a wave that has a steep enough face to lock in the tail and our summer waves often just sort of crumble. But I'm looking to hear what designs you have found that also transitioned best to the really weak stuff.

2. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Bing Trimulux. I find that it's a great all-around longboard for NJ, especially in summer stuff here. I run a Greenough 4A and love it. Responsive, drivey with a little spring to it, and noserides nicely. Pretty flat rocker but don't let that scare you off. They say it rides longer than it is, so you can go a little shorter. (Mine is 9'6". I've always been curious about how a 9'0"-9'2" would be for me but haven't tried one yet.) Still a nice all around rider besides just noseriding. This is from a day in Seaside Park, NJ a few years ago:

Trimulux.jpg
    Trimulux01.jpg
    Trimulux02.jpg
    Trimulux03.jpg

3. Basenji703

Basenji703 Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I second the Bing Trimulux. The only reason I sold mine was that I got a JP Copy Cat.

Gallery likes this.
  4. sightpoint

sightpoint Active Member

Jan 28, 2014
    2' and onshore
    Third on the Trimulux. Should have kept mine.

Gallery likes this.
  5. LÜGEN

LÜGEN Active Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Oceanside
    Weber performer of course.

6. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
    For those waves, inner tube and beers gets my vote.

7. applekat

applekat Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Trimulux.....ya gotta love that rocker...

image.jpeg

Gallery, deemce and sightpoint like this.
  8. Gill

Gill Active Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Spring Lake Heights, NJ
    I think there are a number of boards that would work well - More so are the characteristics of the board. Also the surfing style of the rider is important as well.

but as you mentioned it is a challenge to noseride a shin high mushy gutless summer wave.

Since there is really not much energy in those waves- you'll want a board that can plane and noseride out on the shoulder more, not so much in the pocket cause there really isn't a pocket. So something with a lot of volume and width, like 23 inches wide. I would go longer (10ft), but I would say that regardless. Slight rocker would actually help and the rails are important as well- I
    think a rounded 60/40ish rails in the midsection to sharper 50/50 throughout the tail is helpful. Personally I would skip the whole concave nose- but it's a personal thing on my part.

Anyways, maybe someone else could clearify- but just some of my thoughts on things I would looks for on a small wave nose rider.

Gallery likes this.