Noll slot bottom questions

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by McQuad, Apr 10, 2018.

1. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    I've ridden handful of vintage. The pop out unrefined blob mid 60's i had wasn't much fun, but the late 60's refined pinched rail speed/transition shapes have been. That is my opinion, which is, of course, subjective.

I don't get enough water time to ride something boring or unrefined, so I would never go back to an unrefined board, vintage or not.

Ride what you like, like what you ride. :)

estcstsurfer likes this.
  2. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    the subjectivity of surfing is great. one person pursues their definition of performance, anonther person pursues a different definition of performance. both are enjoying their performance.

just think about the thruster people, fish people , log people, matt people...

each group is surfing. within each group individuals perform vastly differently, and fun is had. performance is subjective. hence the garbage truck reference.

some people write with calligraphy, others type texts on smart phones. either way the message is left.

shadydave likes this.
  3. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    And there you have it. My objective is to have FUN while surfing, it’s that simple. :)

McQuad and miscreant like this.
  4. Finward

Finward Active Member

Jan 16, 2012
    USA
    Performance, the capabilities of a machine, vehicle, or product, especially when observed under particular conditions.

Performance, the action or process of carrying out or accomplishing an action, task, or function.

Performance, a display of exaggerated behavior or a process involving a great deal of unnecessary time and effort; a fuss.

When you say performance which of these definitions are you using?

miscreant likes this.
  5. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016

I’d guess all three are applicable.

The first one rings loud though. Any board when joined with a particular surfer and a particular wave has a implementation of performance that is unique.

That’s what the garbage truck / Ferrari reference is addressing. Garbage trucks have their performance, Ferrari’s have theirs.

6. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Not the one that defines theatrics. Although in pro surfing where airs and claiming every wave to impress the judges, I could be all wet.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    I would think that theatrics play a role, even if not constant.

The extra hand jive, bit of additional arch in the back, even something as simple as throwing spray on a buddy in a cutback... stuff that happens all the time to a greater extent when there is an audience.

I have a weird relationship with vintage longboards. In general, I actually like riding the early sixties boards more because they are so radically different from what I ride usually. The closer I get to the late sixties, the more it rides like a refined board from today, but with very few exceptions, not as well. So I find myself wanting to do things that I could on other boards and can't on the vintage sled. When on a '62, I'm just having fun doing spinners and stuff, whatever the board allows without worrying about surfing "well" by my own very subjective, changing definitions, or even making the wave if I fall behind on a section.

Hansen Superlights, certain Bing PTLWs... there are some stellar late sixties boards out there, don't get me wrong.

8. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

The dynamics of slot bottoms, which are currently used by a handful of quality shortboard shapers, is no different then tail concave - the slot/concave bottom flattens out the rear rocker for faster water flow, while maintaining the rear rail rocker for acute angle of attack turns.

Which makes them pretty much counter productive on a longboard, which without that bottom tail rocker, turns more into a plank.

Noll would be the first to tell you it was a marketing gimmick back in the day.