Noll slot bottom questions

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by McQuad, Apr 10, 2018.

1. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016

This reminded me of this thread:

http://jamboards.com/threads/first-impressions-on-the-phillips-piglet.3812/page-5

2. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    IMO, Greg Noll boards were the garbage truck w/ four flats of that era.

3. mgarbutt

mgarbutt Active Member

Apr 5, 2011
    USA Delaware
    Bing did a version in '65 called the Katamacave, I have a 10' Slot Bottom Hanging in my house, beast of a board. Compare that with some of the other boards of the era & its probably not the best rider.

Attached Files:

Knots likes this.
  4. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016

Hilbers brought one to a luau once. The thing had this almost rhombus type fin. The board had softball shaped rails. It must have been made from either concrete or some metal it was SO heavy. I wasn’t curious enough about its ride to try to carry it down the trail that year.

My late fifties Velzy Jacobs balsa I used to have rode in a way that didn’t inspire me. Yet my tank of a Hansen does inspire me.

One can’t deny Noll’s capacity to market his product though.

JMJackFish likes this.
  5. Knots

Knots Active Member

Oct 19, 2008
    USA Southern New Jersey
    I know 3 guys with Noll slot bottoms. None surf them. Sorry, no help.
    George Gerlach once told me he sold hundreds of Nolls in the middle 1960s. They couldn't sell them out west so they shipped them east. $$$$!
    The story on the Da Cat model is humorous in its own right. See Yater, the Spoon, Dora being Dora... The story is out there if you hunt for it. :)
    Aloha

ThinTheHerd likes this.
  6. Gill

Gill Active Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Spring Lake Heights, NJ
    Great topic and interesting threade. I would be interested in hearing some more about how they original rode as well. I personally really enjoy riding old boards from the 60's and I don't think they are nessesarly hard to turn, but just completely different style.

I was thinking of buying a remake of Nolls Da Cat board by Matador out here in NJ- called the El Gato. Pretty cool looking board, a few of them for sale from time to time for a decent price, you can see the slot bottom, also has the step deck:

https://www.brightonbeachsurfshop.com/store/p269/9'8_Matador_El_Gato_DEMO.html

https://www.brightonbeachsurfshop.com/store/p10/El_Gato__9'8"__(_'68_Pin_Tail)___SOLD.html

Never bought the board, mostly cause it's more of a novelty shape and that's a lot to spend on novelty... like someone else eluded to- there's a reason they are being shaped anymore...

In my experience, I have always noticed that boards with bottom features like channels or slots tend to add a little lift on the tail. But usually they (newer boards) also have hard down rails, adding even more... not really what you would want on a nose rider, you would want the water to flow over the rails and kinda bury the tail in the water... so I think if anything the slots could help Channel water thru turns and maybe help with a little drive, but not nose riding... just my thoughts- but I'm not like a shaper or anything so they are just observations

7. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Active Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    To answer to some Gods in here: no, I don't have that much time riding vintage. Just enough to realize that a lot of old boards are a piece of shit when you compare to the nowaday boards. There's zero doubt in my mind. Is not fair to compare them. Two different animals. Is like comparing a model T and a 911 GTR. Both will finish the race. But with huge difference in performance.
    I have a Riddle shaped by Jim back in the days. Amazing craft. Nicely done. But has nothing to do to when you ride it side by side to a newer board shaped by him.
    I know you have your ego hurt, but most old heavy boards, with round rails, glassed fin,tons of volume, IMHO, they suck.

SeniorGrom likes this.
  8. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    37E17119-035F-4BAF-BF48-F15AD1FC2A4D.jpeg 6FB355C0-A9EF-4EE8-8067-1ABEC18B8A70.jpeg TF, perhaps you have been riding the wrong era of vintage boards. I would have no issue surfing my 1967/68 boards 100% of the time and based on the waves I surf would not feel like I was handicapping myself. Round rails I think not.

Tenfooter and SeniorGrom like this.
  9. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    No doubt a lot has been learned by shapers since the beginning of foam. Todays boards are way more user friendly with improved performance in general. The ‘golden age’ during the last two years of longboarding though there were many spectacular refined shapes. Focusing on how to ride them best gives me a lot of enjoyment. I have another one that is pretty tough to ride but keep trying.

Tenfooter and shadydave like this.
  10. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Active Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    Dave, that is a sick board!!! Nice shape.
    I remember another good old vintage I ride every now and then, a CON, that has pinched rails, turns, and yes, is a nice board.
    Even I have a weber, late 60's , not a performer, that has a nice outline, and rides like a coop.

I should rephrase it: the fat round ones, are a piece of shit. My bad.

shadydave likes this.