Noll slot bottom questions

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by McQuad, Apr 10, 2018.

1. McQuad

McQuad Active Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Fernandina beach
    Who out there has ridden one? Curious to the ride.

2. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

McQ- I'm with you in the curiosity department. I'm only 53 so these were all the rage when I was being born, and then they were gone as quickly as they came. Seemed like it was strictly a Noll thing and no other shapers ever picked up on it.

I've literally never seen another slot bottom besides Greg's shapes; logically, it seems like it would lock a tail in and make for a good noserider and perhaps a good turner too. I too would love to hear more from folks who've ridden them. Perhaps we can start a new (retro) trend! ;)

McQuad likes this.
  3. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I have one that was given to me. 9’8” with a 1” redwood stringer. Probably about a 1965 with a huge D fin and the ‘atomic’ logo lam. When I got it the nose was split open, completely brown, with many rail dings, and tail rail rubbed through to the foam I think from being dragged up and down the beach. Brought it back to life. Believe me it is a beast and heavy as hell with true round ‘tennis ball’ rails. There is nothing refined about this board. I’ve only ridden it once and was a real challenge just getting it off the roof and to the surf. With my limited time in the water I’ll tell you 1) It will catch waves. and 2) It goes straight really well. All I know so far and no plans to get it wet anytime soon.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    Knots likes this.
  4. McQuad

McQuad Active Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Fernandina beach
    Gotcha. Kind of what I figured. Have you seen a da cat and compared the rails.

5. McQuad

McQuad Active Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Fernandina beach
    I’ve heard from several old guys that it didn’t work then and it won’t work now, but that’s hard to believe with the better rocker profiles out there now. The tennis ball rails are concerning though

6. surfore

surfore Active Member

Mar 2, 2004
    USA California
    Yeah not much to be gained from those slots. We’ve said “why?” so many times to slot requests in the Da Copy Cat and pretty much every reply was “...they look cool.” We did them once for a guy who begged. They did look kind of cool, along with the black and bright blue opaque color work, but they didn’t add any performance benefits.

7. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Active Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    Well, nothing new under the sun. I was attracted once to ride old logs, pigs, just boards that our "ancestors"use to ride. Just to have the same feeling.
    . Those boards suck. Big time. We are spoiled SOB's.
    Carbon fiber, fin box, flex fins, leashes, pinched rails, nose scoop, etc. Nowadays we have an array of amazing things that make our boards super cool, easy to paddle, easy to ride, do maneuvers and shit like that.

Yes, those old boards catch waves, since they have a volume of like 150 lt. They are heavy, they go straight. Just straight. Unless you jump on the tail, can barely be turned.
    So whenever you see someone at your break, riding an old school log/pig/equal, pay respect to that guy.Just by looking at Dora or any other ride those logs with such a grace, makes you think how great of a surfers they were.

Now if you really want a modern one, get some of JP newer boards. I have a couple pigs from him. Amazing rides. Night and day.
    A complete different animal. Not for nothing they call him the genius.

8. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    "and then they were gone as quickly as they came". There's a reason for that.

Knots likes this.
  9. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Tenfooter you seem to have a tremendous amount of time surfing Greg Noll Slot Bottoms. Incredible insight! Or are you just commenting on ALL vintage longboards as unbelievable pieces of crap?

Tenfooter likes this.
  10. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016