NJ to CA shipping options

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by JBorbone, Jul 9, 2018.

1. JBorbone

JBorbone Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    Happy Monday folks.

I recently finished a customer board that's 9'4" with a big D fin that has to get from NJ (Belmar) to CA (Santa Monica).

I really really don't want to charge the customer an arm and a leg for shipping, so I'm trying to figure out what ALL my options are.

As of right now, these are what I'm thinking.

1) Ship freight through Greenlight Surf Supply. They box it up for me and ship it out to the customer's address. It'll run about $250, but it's door to door.
    2) Ship Desk-to-Desk with Delta. I would have to box up the board, bring it to Newark Airport, leave it at the check-in desk, and then they would ship it as cargo on the next flight to LAX. My customer would then go to LAX and pick up the box from the oversized luggage area. From what I've heard, this would run about $100. Does anyone have any experience with this.
    3) Amtrak?? I see lots of threads on here about throwing a board onto Amtrak and it getting to the destination without any issues, but from NJ (Newark Penn Station) to LA there are a bunch of transfers, and from what I've read online it's the responsibility of the passenger to make sure his/her luggage gets off the first train and onto the second one. Does anyone have any experience with this??

Are there any other options that I'm missing?

Thanks - JB

2. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    I have gotten boards from Maui & California and they came freight not at the baggage claim. had to go to EWR and pickup from a warehouse, Delta and United. Zero damage from Jim Phillips/Dolly and zero damage from Ole. The Maui bores range in price from $200-$235 for shipping.
    Don't know if this helps, but I would not suggest going to the terminal to drop off a board for shipping, but to their warehouse at the north terminal at EWR.

JBorbone likes this.
  3. michael

michael Active Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    Used freightpros shipping from 07712 to Texas, they sourced someone to do it for about $200 b2b

JBorbone likes this.
  4. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    I purchased a 10' takayama on ebay and had it shipped Amtrak from Florida to Oregon. The shipper showed up at an accepting terminal (they don't accept large freight at every station), he filled out some forms and then called me while at the window and I paid with a credit card. It was around $85 for the shipping and I think he paid $80 at UPS to box it up. 5-6 days later I received a call from the local station, showed up with ID and they brought it out to the front of the station for me. The box was dirty, but in no way damaged. If I remember correctly the tracking showed departure, change of train, eta and arrival. The process couldn't have gone any smoother. Amtrak handles all the freight themselves and it is not dependent on someone being at each stop to move it to the connecting train.

I believe that Dolly is no longer shipping via Delta due to Delta blocking pit bulls from traveling on their flights as support animals. Also when I looked into Delta door to door as a customer I could not sign up for the service because it required some sort of the trusted TSA shipper status. It looked like you had to go through someone that already had a commercial account. If you are going to ship often this might be worth going through the process.

Good luck.

JBorbone likes this.
  5. JBorbone

JBorbone Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    Awesome, thanks guys! That Amtrak option really sounds like the best bet. I'm going to look into which stations around here accept large freight.

6. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    I've used Forward Air in the past without any problems and very cheap pricing. They're actually a ground shipping company, so transit is longer than by plane.

7. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Try 30th st station in Philly. The guys in Newark suck. Need a station with "baggage express" or something like that.

I've heard they recently can make you pull the board out of the box to check for damage before they ship. Make sure you bring extra packing supplies to pack it back in. Has to be under 50 lbs or the lazy guys in Chicago won't transfer to the next train and will send back. Yes, It happened to me.

Woman at the counter in Philly used to be awesome but last time I was there she was losing her positive attitude. When I was in Philly for college I shipped and received via Amtrak all the time. She would just write it up as a bicycle, charge me $65 insured and send it on its way. Never a problem.

JBorbone and michael like this.
  8. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    Good point, this is true. The insurance is really cheap and a rep I talked to said that people were shipping broken boards and then making insurance claims for $500-$800-$1000 so they ruined it for the rest of us.

9. Lackosense

Lackosense Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Long Beach, NY
    I have a large rectangular box, inside cardboard to wrap over the packing material to prevent puncture, and packing material in great condition. I received a 9'8 board with a glassed in fin in this box from the Bing shop in Encinitas. If you want it, let me know.

JBorbone and deemce like this.
  10. michael

michael Active Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    Can likely shlep that back to the area this week if you want it @JBorbone

JBorbone likes this.