Newcommer

Discussion in 'Skate' started by leoffensive, Jan 18, 2007.

1. leoffensive

leoffensive New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    USA California
    I just recently bought a sector 9 bamboo longboard after watching some friends ride around a local park. In my mind i was thinking "i want that feeling" and in the past ive always wanted to ride skateboards and stuff but i never had the coordination to do so. soo ive had my board for 2 days and i can kinda ride up and down my street which is flat i have made a few short trips around a few blocks and have made it down a semi steep but really short hill at the end of my street.

well im still having problems with balance, and i cant turn very well soo i usually have to stop to go around most corners and i had problems with speed wobbles. ive tried tightening the trucks and it helps some buit i dont wanna tighten them too much cause then it would probably be to difficult to turn.

what kind of advice would you guys give to someone who has never ridden before(not even a skateboard) and has just started riding as far as like balance and pumping and turning

lol and also whats the best way to go over bigger cracks in the sidewalk and rodes

2. John67

John67 New Member

Apr 8, 2006
    You gotta have confidence. Speed wobbles are probly 80 percent mental, and the rest is in your equipment. Practice making sharp turns, or carves ( like big S turns down a hill) practice those on flat streets, then work up to hills. Also, start out with small hills, and ride down them until you feel set, then move up to bigger hills.
    If your feelin scared about a bigger hill, then start it halfway down. For bumps, its mainly in your wheels. Softer wheels (with a lower durometer number) will absorb cracks better, and so will larger wheels. Also, as your riding down the sidwalk and see a bump, you can crouch down and then jump up (about 2-3 inches in the air) and this will usually force the nose of your board to pop up and roll over the bump. THe trick is to land square on the deck after you jump, so you dont fall off.

For balance, you can practice riding your board with one foot, riding the nose of the deck (hang ten) or get a balance board type thing or some balance excercise. Most importantly, practice, and wear safety gear too, unless you wanna end up with lots of scars like I did.

3. leoffensive

leoffensive New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    USA California
    sweet man thanks for the advice

4. photonicgirl

photonicgirl New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    USA New York
    Yah the Bongo Board rocks for balance.

You didn't say what size board you have or what size guy you are. I ride long wide (46 X 10) boards with big fat soft wheels. They are super stable and big enough to move around on.

I had to learn to skate from scratch too, and I started on a smaller board but quickly realized that it wasn't gonna do. Right now it's snowboard season but I can't wait to get back on the skates! If you want a really stoked board, go to this link and read about www.krackedskulls.com

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37695

Jules

Quiver: Kracked Skulls M1 46, Lush Mako, Dregs OG Maggie, Sector 9 OG Cloud 9, Freebord, K2 Luna snowboard

5. leoffensive

leoffensive New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    USA California
    heres what board it is.
    its the sector 9 secrets its L39.5" W9.375" 65mm/78A wheels and i think its the abec 9 bearings i dunno its all the stock stuff that came on the board
    im a heavy a guy
    im about 5'8"-5'10" and about 220 pounds

6. photonicgirl

photonicgirl New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    USA New York
    My thought is, check out these boards: www.krackedskulls.com.

You could go with a bigger wider board and wheels.

Low to the ground, big and wide and fat and gnarly. With extra special wheels and the price is unbelievable. You'll be surprised at how easy this thing is to ride.

Jules

7. leoffensive

leoffensive New Member

Jan 18, 2007
    USA California
    yea those prices are pretty good. the only things is that id have to wait a lil while cause im currently broke hahaha

8. skeeter

skeeter New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    USA Delaware
    fotogirl, you schillin' krackedskull boards? is bill yer hubby, boyfren, bro? you on the krackedskull team? you only got 12 posts and half of them are for krackedskull.

9. photonicgirl

photonicgirl New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    USA New York
    Nope, not shillin. I have multiple boards and that's the best deal by far that I've seen anywhere. You find something better I'll post for them too. Trying to get as many people on kracked as possible. I only know Bill because I ordered a board from him. It came faster than greased lightening, from the West to the East coast in three days. Cost me $13 in shipping, board was $105. Let me know when you find a deal better than that for a dropped deck low to the ground styling board. Closest I came was my Maggie OG which I"ll be shillin as soon as I have a chance to ride it. Snowin here you know.

Peace.

Check out my blog: www.adventurouswoman.net

10. skeeter

skeeter New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    USA Delaware
    thanks fer the clarification. you like it fast 'n cheap. my daddy and momma always said you get what you pay for. i'm hip.