new rides in 2019 list..

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Nilus

Nilus Active Member

Jun 30, 2008
    Good points, SG.

I have been compiling data for a couple years now. Have a spreadsheet documenting every session, board surfed, 1-5 star rating of conditions, notable rides or co-surfers, etc.

For 2018, I surfed every board in my roughly 10ish board quiver ranging from a 5'6 CI bonzer 3d to a 10' Frye eagle. Roughly 120 days, down sharply from the previous year (200ish) because of last year's poor winter and no surfing this December because of an injury.

Roughly 10% of the days ranked 4 stars with two 5 star days. 3 stars was probably half of the total days. But three stars on my scale here in santa Barbara would have been my five stars in new jersey. :D

My 6'4 bonzer egg was easily the most surfed board. About 30% of total sessions, including trips to Hawaii and El Salvador. I spent more than 30 days at Rincon and another 30+ at cstreet and most other days were other right hand points.

Behind the bonzer, my 9'2 Frye noserider was runner up.

Conclusion: All I really need is a good all around alternative shortboard and a log. But I use everything and on the days when the conditions warrant a Liddle pointbreaker or a Frye k model or something else, I'm glad I have them!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    Salinity, deemce, SeniorGrom and 2 others like this.
  2. davey

davey Active Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Australia
    Spreadsheets?? Am I missing something here. Surfing used to be so simple in the good old days. Checked out the weather map in the newspaper, paddled out on probably the only board you had, surfed for hours with a few mates. Now there's multi nationals owning surf companies, Internet surf reports, Chinese pop outs, etc. Fuck me!!!

3. aussie-surfer

aussie-surfer Active Member

Jun 28, 2007
    USA Wisconsin
    IMG_1532.JPG Musing with options for my 50th birthday. Seems appropriate that I should get a new board to mark the occasion. Or a real classy used thing.
    Also, forever searching for an MR or other classic Oz brand, Hot Stuff, etc.
    And getting a clean body and paint job on my work truck. Stoking to see how that comes out!!

4. Nilus

Nilus Active Member

Jun 30, 2008
    You're not missing anything unless you think you are. I know skip keeps detailed notes on past sessions on tide calendars and has done so for decades. It's nothing new.

Personally, rather than complicating things or detracting from the experience, it allows me to go back and remember things better if I so choose. I can also reference what days were good where and with what combination of conditions.

Still check the weather, paddle out on one board at a time, and surf with a few friends. Or in most cases, my daughter.

These are my good old days.

DJR, michael and Salinity like this.
  5. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Nilus knows what a quiver of boards he uses to surf waves should look like for him. Other have different motivations and interests. Maybe since I no longer get a paycheck there’s a different mentality. Today it’s just how many surfboards do I need to stare at, wax up, paddle out, and surf. Got about 10 also that I rotate through sessions. Without analysis figure it’s enough. I’ll sell one before replacing one. Still stoked. Thanks.

6. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    You will do fine my friend..
    Trust me i scrubbed 25 yrs neuro/ortho..another 10 as a rep..
    And now 4 as an adjunct professor...
    Just a little "shaping" going on..you will be more hydrodymanic!

Planktom, davey and SeniorGrom like this.
  7. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Planktom..
    I will add this one huge tip.
    Please be a cooperative patient..post opt.
    The closer you follow the plan... the better/ quicker
    (Patient Complaince,is a huge factor)
    The recovery/rehab..

I mean seriously im in Valley Fair Mall..on a saturday
    Decades ago...with the wifey shopping..before kids..
    I see a friday podiatric patient..post opt...walking with a cane..
    Not crutches..
    In slippers.no splint....her bandages looked filthy...
    Later over the weekend the surgical site had
    Dehiscence(sutures had blown open from internal pressure)
    from a hematoma..so the following monday...we had to debride..clean up
    And pack it..could not try and re-close it..she had to granulate over the next few months to close it..
    Ugly painful scar tissue..
    Ok..well look at the time..
    enough with Fun memories..
    Have a Good night

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Planktom likes this.
  8. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    Going to have Stamps shape a speed egg to join this 3-pak. And still on the look-out for a 60's Wardy, which are rare, and always over priced.
    [​IMG]

9. NCJohn

NCJohn Active Member

Oct 27, 2015
    5'8 mabile twinzer fish
    5'10 Mike Griffin stringerless fish
    6'7 pyzel ghost
    7' Dewey Weber feather fastback

Headed to San Diego in a few weeks to pick 'em up, so stoked. The fish have been at a buddy's place for months and I'm starting to get a little jealous of all the ride reports I'm getting. The pyzel is for a trip to Puerto Rico and this fall in Hatteras. I have a 6'3" thats the real deal for getting barreled and some knifey shortboard turns .The 6'7" is just for getting barreled. And the 7' feather fastback is a backup for my top 3 board of all time.

10. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    @DanSan

Sound advice that will be well heeded..

I have a little practice with multiple knee surgeries so have learned to listen and obey!

Thanks for the positive Vibes BTW, just what I needed