New longboard- flex/stiff fin

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Malibootay, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Malibootay

Malibootay Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Newport/West Hills
    just got a new longboard, unlike any I've had before. It's made by Chocolate Fish (unsure who actually shapes these or where, not much info) dirty pin model, 9'3". Had some sweet double concave going out the tail, lower rails and a pintail. Light glass. I'll try to post a pic.

Seems pretty rad. All the longboards I've had in the past have been heavy volan logs. My current log is a 10' Davenport cub model, which I love. I wanted this new board to get into the trimmy cruisy hype that's going around. I've had a few hulls in the past (Spence and a Liddle) and wanted something between a hull and a longboard (not that this is a hull in anyway but you get what I mean).

Anyways. I popped this fin I've had sitting around. It's a Captain brothers Marshall 9.75". It's kind of like a 4a type outline but it's pretty stiff. I figured it would be a good choice, that the stiffness would give it a lot of drive. Part of me thinks that maybe a flex fin might be more enjoyable though. I'm not really sure what people put in boards like this. Haven't gotten it out in good waves yet but curious if this board would be better with a flex fin, if anyone has experience with a board like this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    SeniorGrom likes this.
  2. Pacis

Pacis Member

Oct 25, 2008
    I think Eric Christenson is still shaping Icon's Chocolate fish boards. Look them both up, will give you more info

3. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I like the fin you have in it.

Malibootay likes this.
  4. Malibootay

Malibootay Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Newport/West Hills
    Thanks. I think the guy I bought it from mentioned that EC shaped it but I wasn't really paying attention

5. soul_glide

soul_glide Member

Jan 1, 2005
    USA New Jersey
    Try finning down on the pintails...I use a 7.5 Frye flex on a 9'0 Thick Lizzy and a 7.5 L-flex on a 9'6 Mitsven glider. Both have double concaves through the back. No problem holding the high line. Very loose and responsive.

Malibootay likes this.
  6. McQuad

McQuad Active Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Fernandina beach
    This screams velzy classic

7. Malibootay

Malibootay Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Newport/West Hills
    Is the Velzy pretty stiff? If so I'd say the outline of the captain fin I've got is pretty similar, though the captain fin seems to have a larger base.

I'm just trying to figure if a stiff fin is going to be better than a flex. I think I'm going to have to try a few find to find out for myself.

8. Mcrockett77

Mcrockett77 Member

Jul 24, 2013
    I have that board in 9'2. I've been using a tiller fin (10") it feels good most of the time, however I've been thinking about trying a 9" in it to lossen it up a bit. To me the board is a perfect all a rounder, works well in everything I've had it in.

https://futuresfins.com/tiller-9-0.html

9. Malibootay

Malibootay Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Newport/West Hills
    Oh nice! Do you feel like the flex fin is noticeable and/or makes a big difference in how it surfs? The fin I have flexes very little and I'm wondering if I might want to switch to a flex fin down the road.

10. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Active Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York