new guy...no real clue right now

Discussion in 'Skate' started by layedout72, Apr 1, 2007.

1. layedout72

layedout72 New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Alright guys, I am a newcomer by far, but I have always wanted a long board. I don't know much about them just know that I want one :). I am a big guy, so I need something that can handle weight, but not ride like a tank. I will be riding around the college campus and my neighborhood. The neighborhood entrance is a series of S-turns down hill but not STEEP STEEP, and it just got new asphalt :)

I am not looking for insanely priced equipment, or lower line. I want it to be a cruiser, I don't really need the whole turn on a dime deal, but it needs to turn rather well at the same time. I want something that will roll a while, so good bearings are a must, as are wheels.

I am not sure quite yet whether I want to buy a complete board, or piece one together.

Another thing is, my neighbor is a VERY good carpenter. He did all the wood work in his house and I am fairly confident in his ability to actually BUILD a board. What do you guys think about this, as a first board? Is there any way to get a "template" or a blue print of a solid deck design to work off of? Maybe that is a little advanced as a first timer, but is it so insanely hard to do, that it couldn't at all be done?

So after all of this, what can be said equipment wise for a big guy just lookin to cruise around boardwalk style and no carving or anything like that?

2. photonicgirl

photonicgirl New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    USA New York
    Get a kracked skulls deck with Randall trucks, build it up with big fat krypto wheels (will roll over anything) online at Daddys or Milehigh, and your favorite abec five or above bearings. Oh la la~!

Price for deck, trucks and wheels will be around $100. 47X10 is a great size for cruising. I know, I know, I'm a broken record....

Jules

3. skeeter

skeeter New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    USA Delaware
    well, first off, fotogirlie is gonna tell you krakedskulls no matter who's asking what. she's shillin' for them.

but if you're a big guy into cruising, then 47 inches will be cool for a few days, then you'll be ready to get outta diapers and go big- somethin over 55" and in the realm where tonicchik ain't been and don't know about. so, why not just go there straight away and skip the nonesense?

check out ed economy, abec11s big red X, jam, bigwave, foided concepts, kahuna, longboardlarry.

4. photonicgirl

photonicgirl New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    USA New York
    yeah, yada yada

i'm shillin and buying product from them too. just bought some abec 11 wheels today in fact. i also buy from dregs, sent john an email today for board #3 for a friend.

now, question is, who are you shillin for my friend? or don't you have a shop or two that you especially like?

jules

5. photonicgirl

photonicgirl New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    USA New York
    or, not to be rude, but my next question is, why don't you have a shop or two that likes you :)

foto girlie huh? least i got some tonic ... check out the blog and tell me it ain't so.

jules

6. skeeter

skeeter New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    USA Delaware
    the "big guy" detail should've been a clue. i recommended all the labels that produce boards over 50", which provide superior cruising performance. yea, a 47" board can cruise, but not like a 55", or 60" or longer, but then, you wouldn't know about that. less helpful and irritating, you do shill kracked very well, i'll give you that.

7. photonicgirl

photonicgirl New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    USA New York
    Why thank you.

I have my new prototype Kracked Skulls en route to Oklahoma where I'll be for the next two weeks. I also have a Dregs Biker Pro that should be at my house by tomorrow. John's a cool guy to deal with and he'll help anyone find the right Dregs. Bill's great in that he told me which wheels to buy for the KS, sold them to me (at a discount mind you) and won't recommend Gullwings with his boards. In fact, he prefers Randalls which I can't disagree with. He says the new prototype can be made to any length, so it's certainly worth checking out at the longer length you recommend.

And by the way, I totally agree with you that the bigger the guy, the bigger the board he needs. If I, at 5.8, need a board that's 47 inches, I can imagine that a guy who's six feet would want something longer. Makes total sense. And the reason I don't have a longer board, well, is because I couldn't handle that big daddy...

Jules

8. John67

John67 New Member

Apr 8, 2006
    No offense, but most dregs boards arent that great.. and they usually come with sub par wheels/trucks. Kracked skulls seems like a good board, but the only one i see on the website is a dropthrough DH style board, which is not what this guy needs.. Any cruiser from 48-60inches, a tad of flex and conventional style trucks (trackers) and soft wheels will work great.

check these companies out.

www.gravityboard.com

www.longboardlarry.net

and do a search for G and S fibreflex, they make some sick longboards

9. photonicgirl

photonicgirl New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    USA New York
    I believe William is posting his new protype soon. I have one but won't talk about it yet.

As for the M1-46, that's a fine board for anything at all. I mean ANYTHING! Can you beat the price? The parts? The style?

Jules

10. John67

John67 New Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Really? Well it doesnt seem that suitable for commuting, crosstepping, has no tail so you cant realy skate parks or ditches with it.. Yes, its dropthrough so it should be fairly stable, but its not the "GREATEST BOARD EVER AND CAN DO ANYTHING", because no skateboard is perfect for all types of skating. It may be good for cruising around, but most skaters dont simply ride boards everywhere, they try tricks, go fast, shred parks or ditches and skate. Lastly, have you compared this m1 deck to any other companies besides dregs? Because it seems that youve only ridden a few boards, so your opinion of "this board can do it all" isnt very valid, because there are quite a few companies with much more versatile decks.. Such as Gravity's carve 39 or minicarve 42, Landyactz's dropcarve, or even the loaded fish.