Name That Board...

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by japsom, Jan 10, 2018.

1. japsom

japsom Active Member

Jan 8, 2016
    USA California
    Does anyone know what type of board Harrison Roach rides in this clip starting at 1:27? Or know something that rides like it with those speed carves?

the dude shreds

2. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    USA Florida
    I hate to be so obvious about this, but, I am certain that he is riding a "surf" board.

Sorry, , , , , just had to do it, , , , ,

3. applekat

applekat Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Dennis Choate would know.

...if you can find him.

4. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    Channel bottom single fin?, but it does slide up the face pretty nicely so perhaps just a really nice foiled/concaved pintail mid length single.
    I don't see the tell tale Deus label on it and a Lot of his Deus quiver was Pavel - singles, bonzers and quads- see his section in - I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night -
    9:27

In the Sea Badgers clip it's an all white board and Alex Knost is running about the place so it may well be one of his. Looks like it surfs like one. He was making those BMT's around then - 2013- and that teardrop plan shape in the clip looks similar.
    Surph here has or had one, a sick baby blue.

Whatever the board- The overhead 15sec period perfectly sculpted wave at Keramas helps tremendously here too.

JBorbone likes this.
  5. JBorbone

JBorbone Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    It's either an RP channel bottom or a McTavish Tracker. Harrison was helping Bob and Ben redevelop the Blue Bird for a while at Deus Bali but I don't recall any of the Blue Birds being all white. Deus stocks a ton of RP's and Bob's custom boards built specifically for their shop, so it was almost definitely one of their shapes.

Harrison also happens to ride a lot of boards by Doc, who caught a wave on the log right after him in that clip. Could have been a custom by Doc? I just ordered a 7'2" by him that'll probably look pretty damn close to that.

Pic of my Tracker for reference. Looks very close to what he's riding. image1.jpeg

Roach likes this.
  6. japsom

japsom Active Member

Jan 8, 2016
    USA California
    Thanks for your help. I wasn't sure if it was a surfboard or maybe a "sarf bordt" :).

I found this McTavish Sherpa which looks pretty neat after your suggestion JBorbone. http://deuscustoms.com/surf/board/mctavish-sherpa/

I'm very intrigued now especially with that clip on the Sherpa.

JBorbone likes this.
  7. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    I remember looking for an all in one board a little while back and at that Sherpa, the Shiva by Maurice Cole, and an OakFoils were top of the list.

That Bexon - Harrison Roach - model longboard has a really great plan shape too.

I think Borbone is close to, if not spot on with that McTavish Tracker. The flip in the nose...
    And J, your Tracker is Sick by the way.

japsom and JBorbone like this.
  8. JBorbone

JBorbone Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    Totally agree japsom, the Sherpa is dreamy! If I ever make my way out to Oz I'm going to order a custom from Bob.

kpd - thanks a lot man, I love it! Rode it during Gert this summer when it was really pumping and it handled very very well. The roll in the nose makes the drop forgiving despite the relatively low rocker line, and the slight vee in the tail makes rail to rail control in the pocket easy despite the limited hold.

rumor has it that Doc might be shaping some extra Harrison model noseriders for the racks at the Deus in Venice Beach that'll be shipped out with the "Devon Howard orders". keep your eyes peeled!

japsom likes this.