Mystery Custom

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by SeniorGrom, Sep 2, 2016.

1. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    One of my thoughts with all the specifics given to our shapers, who would dare order a custom and just say build what will work for me? Oh and by the way, please use any odds and ends foam, wood, glass scraps, any color, any finish combination. Do what you want and let me know when it's done.

2. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    If one is lucky enough to catch a "master" shaper when they are in a good mood one must not ask for anything other than a model name and a length. Do your homework too. You will be labeled a bafoon if you ask for a 10' when that model is only built up to 9'8".

3. SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Funny you say that. I asked for a 9'10" FCD Beavertail custom when it's only listed up to 9'8". They made it and it's one of my favorites. Buffoonery maybe. I'm thinking more about giving creative freedom after a consult and not obsessing.

4. miscreant

May 20, 2016
    SeniorGrom wrote:
    no disrespect , and not to nit pick... but that manufacturer must not value themselves as a "master" shaper. notice the quotes.

5. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    I quit riding models when knew my numbers. I dont fuck with nose width tho.

6. SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I think I understand the "master" craftsman concept and his fine tuned time tested models. I was thinking more about the master shaper wanting create something out of nothing. Anything (not foam or wood dust) that could become a surfboard and not thrown in the dumpster. Could be that with close tolerance blanks there just isn't that much waste.

7. miscreant

May 20, 2016
    SeniorGrom wrote:
    i knew a shaper that more than some consider a "master" shaper. the ego of that human (the surfboard blank sculptor) is what determines what shape is built.

8. trucker

trucker Member

Apr 24, 2008
    OB, San Diego
    I once wrote "be creative" on an order card for Skip Frye. He responded by shaping one of my favorite boards ever. Since then I've always let him do what he feels like, and I give general guidelines or a particular model but not much more than that. I've found that he makes some very astute suggestions and I follow that. It's worked every time.

9. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    SeniorGrom wrote:
    Pretty much did this with Mgarbutt on a 9' Sam. Thru our conversations we have found we like similar characteristics of certain shapes. We discussed what we thought was the ideal length and both came up with 9' from there I told him to shape a 9' Sam that he would shape for himself, pretty much the end of conversation. Looking forward to picking it up and getting it wet. SG I believe you have already laid your eyes on it.

10. SeniorGrom

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    :shock: So old I can't remember