MP style hulls / stubbies

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by zalfa, May 1, 2019.

1. zalfa

zalfa New Member

May 19, 2018
    La
    Who’s ridden them?
    Fineline, Liddle, Andreini ?

What sizes?

What conditions?

Feeling out a 6’6 or 6’8.
    Want to be able to duck dive still but also enough length for the inherent glide of bigger boards or for use in smallerish waves..

2. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    oh boy.

Knots likes this.
  3. xyzzy

xyzzy Active Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Encinitas, CA
    LOL.... In the spirit of trying to be useful, here's my $0.02.

The foil on a Liddle makes it relatively easy to duck dive at mid-lengths. The foil also makes it much more finicky to ride well. My m3p at 6'8 is fine duck-diving to a few feet overhead, and has a surprising range in terms of wave size.

[​IMG]

I mainly ride beach breaks, and the m3p's wide point is a little further back than a Pointbreaker or Death Machine making it easier to manage. They are slick, have immediate speed, love being on edge.

[​IMG]

I have 6'3 MP-Edge from Andreini -- it's a completely different board from the bladed out Liddles. They're thick, smooth (particularly through chop), pack a lot of foam, and like all Andreini's work well and are easy to ride in just about anything.

4. zalfa

zalfa New Member

May 19, 2018
    La

Awesome, just the type of response i was hoping for..
    Is there one you like over the other? or For certain waves?

Curious to see if anyone here has ridden the fineline version?

5. Largoazul

Largoazul Member

Mar 9, 2017
    Maine
    Agree with what xyzzy said. I have a 6’9 m3p. Best in beach break but can be surfed in a variety of conditions. Fast, easy to duck dive and nice rail to rail board.

One thing that was tricky was fun placement. I stick my fin all the way to the back and it works well for me. Ive tried it in other spots in the box and it wouldn’t work.

Have also surfed an Andreini 6’8? Way different board. Lots more foam . More drive I’d say. More approachable from a longboard stepping down. Still surfs we’ll rail to rail with a bit more hold. Definitely less finicky with fun placement and general riding.

6. Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
    Nice lay out, xyzzy! Here Largo, my dos centavos:
    Liddle - bladed, hulled, the "true" hum (but most difficult to learn a hull on)
    Andreini - much more user friendly and, IMO, better adapted to beach breaks. More edge in tail to turn on so you can actually jump on and turn from the tail like a "normal" board first time out. Do that with your 1st Liddle and you will experience The Starfish (Hilbers' adjective for a failed turn, see "face plant")
    Hilbers (Fineline) - more akin to GL. BJ is a pope in the church of hull but has a variety of different adaptations of the genre.
    - Here's two shots on a 8'8" Liddle Grande. A really clean day that i wish I had right now. Me @ Middles:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

- and a cold day shot at Uppers on a 7' GL:

[​IMG]

Artz, BrazilButtNut, hankster and 3 others like this.
  7. xyzzy

xyzzy Active Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Encinitas, CA
    Interesting, I'd put it 11-12" from the tail -- close to the front of the box. IMO these boards should be put on rail in a bottom turn, projected out of the hole with the flex of the fin, and forward trimmed in the pocket -- surfed considerably less off the tail. But by all means, whatever works!

[​IMG]

@Veterano giving some great example of forward trim in the steep parts -- thats what these boards are all about IMO!

If it's your first hull, and you don't live at a point break, I'd definitely start with an Andreini!

That being said, I took my m3p to Costa Rica having never ridden one before, and was super impressed by the range -- but it really comes alive in steep, lined up waves, particularly if its offshore.

Keeping the pics flowing:

[​IMG]

One of my best barrel dodges:

[​IMG]

I'm planning on getting a Burrito next, and hoping to talk to KP about sizing at the boardroom show this weekend. I'm thinking 5'7-5'10? 5'7 looks a little boxy though.

DKNJ and DJR like this.
  8. Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
    Hull rule of thumb - start at 12" up and make the 1/8" to 1/4" adjustments back or forward from there as you get dialed in. But as stated, whatever fells right to you.

xyzzy likes this.
  9. xyzzy

xyzzy Active Member

Sep 2, 2014
    Encinitas, CA
    It's hard to photograph the foil....

[​IMG]

There's no forgiveness for being even marginally off the volume if you're late:

[​IMG]

Artz and DJR like this.
  10. zalfa

zalfa New Member

May 19, 2018
    La
    Oh yes I'm familiar.

My "longboard" is a 9'3 Andreini Streaker. Love that board.
    Have ridden friend's various sized vaqueros and a 7'6 liddle.
    Started my surf adventure on a 7'6 fineline egg..

Ride a 7'4 vbowls a good amount of the time when its big enough to get me going.

But yeah really just curious about the various different "MPs" out there and sizing. When it comes to smaller boards I go from midlength to a 5'10 fish so seeing if something in between could be a good move.

Thanks for the replies guys!