Moving the Screw on a Fin from the Back to the Front

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Squid, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Squid

Squid Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I ordered 10 bearings from this company, http://www.kumanosystem.com/ in Dana Point. Should be enough to do two fins with two few extra for screw ups. The owner said that retro fitting fins with his system is very easy. I'll report back once I get them installed.

2. ted

ted Member

Aug 25, 2008
    USA California
    I have QFR's on all my fins. The only way to go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHOE3cmrU1U

3. bc

bc New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA
    Squid wrote:
    Looks like a good solution. How much did the bearings cost?

I'm interested in how it works as I have the same sitch with the fin box a bit too far forward,
    and some fins with the screw in the back that I'd wish were the other way around.

4. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Squid wrote:
    Definitely keep us posted on how this works. Will make all fins with broken tabs usable again. Might have to check out the greenlight supply thing too.

5. pefa

pefa Active Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Bi
    It's all ball bearings these days

6. Squid

Squid Member

Dec 19, 2011
    $2 per bearing plus $6 shipping. For a 10" fin you can get by with 3, so it's roughly $6 per fin to retro. The instructions he gave me call for drilling a very specific sized hole and then using a vise to push the bearings into place. No glue or resin is needed. Easy and cheap enough to give them a try.

7. Squid

Squid Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Just did the retro to the fin today. The whole process took no more than 20mns. First, I had to mark off a line 5/16" from the bottom of the fin and then spaced 4 marks 1 1/4" apart along that line. Using a drill press, I drilled four 25/64" holes on the marks. I placed the bearings in the holes in an alternating pattern then used a vise to press them fully into the hole. No glue or resin needed. Sawed off the tab and I was done. Fin fits perfectly into the box with absolutely no wobble or movement. The bearings themselves are a small stainless ball bearing with a stainless spring in a plastic casing. It takes a decent hit to get the fin to release so I have no concerns about the fin popping out unexpectedly during a session. I will be curious to see how they hold up as I can foresee water getting trapped in the bearing but at $2 a piece, even if I have to change them every couple of years I am not too concerned.

[​IMG]

8. Squid

Squid Member

Dec 19, 2011
  9. deemce

deemce Active Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    Very cool! Nice job

10. Squid

Squid Member

Dec 19, 2011
    One more. Took less than 10mns this time.

[​IMG]