Mitsven magic vs egg

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Rinconryder, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Rinconryder

Rinconryder Member

Nov 30, 2015
    i am helping a buddy’s wife order him a surprise board. He lives near Santa Cruz and something in the 9 foot range would be good for him. Question is magic or egg? What are the differences in performance? Of course I will ask bob but I wanted to check here as well just to have as much knowledge as possible. Thanks!

Wes

2. JMJackFish

JMJackFish Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    DKNJ is your dude

DKNJ likes this.
  3. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    I am the current custodian of Mad Dog's old 9'6" Mitsven Magic. I gained a lot of info and decent amount of stoke from reading this thread before buying it from him:

http://jamboards.com/threads/tell-me-all-about-magic-models.606/

Mad Dog also had a 9'6" BM 'Magegg' in his garage, which looked great.

I never had a chance to ride both back-to-back, but I will say that the tail is obviously wider with the egg, with more curve in the rail in the back third of the board, with a more parallel rail line up towards the nose as a result.

I always thought that these elements would make the egg a better small-wave machine, but a couple of accounts (one in particular from DKNJ) suggest that they handle some juice too.

My Magic is a 4+1 fin setup - not something I would naturally lean towards when ordering a board, but I will admit it's been great to experiment. I love single fin boards, both short and long, but I've found the quad set up to be a hoot in both smaller and overhead waves... not tracky at all and lots of drive and hold. Always nice to have your preconceptions broken down every now and again eh?

I like to ride the magic in clean, lined-up surf, big or small. It likes room to breath and, unsurprisingly, is not a board for twisty, rippy, shallow beach break. SC points would be a perfect playground.

Hope this helps a little.

4. thomas

thomas Member

Nov 22, 2016
    San Diego
    Santa Cruz...Magic...

5. ekim

ekim Active Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Man, that's nice. I need friends like you.

6. Rinconryder

Rinconryder Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Talked to bob today and decided on the magic. A little more maneuverable than the egg. Hope I made the right call for him! Thank you for the collective input.

DKNJ likes this.
  7. thomas

thomas Member

Nov 22, 2016
    San Diego
  8. Rinconryder

Rinconryder Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Oh man...wish he was still shaping regularly...

9. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Good call, your friend will be very happy I think.

Just out of interest - what else did Bob say about the egg (if anything)? I would have thought that the curve in the tail would make it friendlier and looser in the pocket, but perhaps not....

10. JBorbone

JBorbone Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ