Mighty Water Dragon:

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Roy Stewart, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Roy Stewart

Roy Stewart Active Member

Oct 1, 2004
    New Zealand
    We are approaching the Year of the Dragon, which is when we build Dragon Boards.

This coming year of the Dragon is the first one since 1964 which is a Water Dragon year, so it is exceptionally auspicious for a Dragon surfboard.

The previous Dragon Board was built during the year 2000.

At 13'9' long and 23 to 24 inches wide the Dragon board has a length to width ratio of 7:1, and with a low rocker ( only 7 inches overall) it relies more on displacement based lift ( buoyancy ) than planing lift than most boards during the transition between paddling and surfing.

Dimensions are
    length 13'9"
    Width 24"
    Thickness 2 & 5/8"
    Weight ( projected) 55 pounds
    Volume 90 litres approx
    Rails 50/50 elliptical ( continuous )
    Rocker circular arc 7 inches overall

The original board proved itself to be an exceptionally good and reliable performer over a wide range of conditions, from knee high to triple overhead reef waves. it took a bit of getting used to taking off on waves over head high on such a long and heavy board ( the original board was 65 to 70 pounds in weight) but the beast never let me down and survived some drops which I thought were impossible, so confidence was gained through experience.

This board will be a tad wider, thicker and lighter than the original, but still has beefed up scantlings to keep it heavier than it would be with my regular schedule. Planking is 10mm instead of 7 to 8mm, blocking extends into the board further ( also required for the 'pinched' or elliptical rail section) and there is more solid blocking in the tail area.

The extra weight means more effort is required to carry and paddle the board, but that is more than offset by the fact that it is there when it is needed i.e. at all times when riding the wave and particularly in strong offshore or bumpy conditions.

Riding the Dragon was a unique experience and I'm looking forward with slight trepidation to doing it again.

Here's the third of four Dragon Board panels being made today:

http://olosurfer-woodensurfboardsatpipeline.blogspot.com/2012/01/mighty-water-dragon-part-2-building-and.html

[​IMG]

2. Jook

Jook Member

May 6, 2005
    USA
    What happened to the original Dragon?

What board that you have made is your favorite to ride?

3. Roy Stewart

Oct 1, 2004
    New Zealand
    Hi Jook,

The original board was sold back in 2003 to a surfing museum for three square meals.

It's hard to pick a single favourite because it is usually the one I'm riding.

4. Roy Stewart

Oct 1, 2004
    New Zealand
    The final panel in place two days ago, she's in one piece now.

http://youtu.be/hqfaB2NBBDw

5. pilau

pilau Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    USA Hawaii
    Water dragon = spirited away

6. Roy Stewart

Oct 1, 2004
    New Zealand
    Fairing the plan shape

http://olosurfer-woodensurfboardsatpipeline.blogspot.co.nz/2012/03/shaping-dragon-board-step-one-fairing.html

[​IMG]

7. slosurf

slosurf Active Member

Sep 1, 2004
    USA Maryland
    Roy Stewart wrote:
    For your whole family---that's a nice payday. :)

8. Roy Stewart

Oct 1, 2004
    New Zealand
    You know that that isn't true.

9. jonzer

jonzer New Member

May 21, 2005
  10. Roy Stewart

Oct 1, 2004
    New Zealand
    Yes, two of my longboards in the top left picture, and one of my kneeboard spoons from 2003 in the bottom left picture. The museum isn't there now.