Mid length recommendation - Oregon surf

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by takedown, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    I keep this 7'10 version at my sons house in Half Moon Bay for visits...
    [​IMG]

2. thomas

thomas Member

Nov 22, 2016
    San Diego
    Go local...if not, Mitsven or Larmo magic...

3. icecreamheadache

icecreamheadache Active Member

Jan 14, 2006
    I grew up surfing Oregon. The Vaquero is decidedly not a super good choice for Oregon surf (aside from a few of choice spots on select days when they are excellent) as in spite of being hulls with training wheels of sorts they are still finicky when there’s water moving. They do hold their retail value quite well (my beat to hell 7’2” Vaq from 2008 shows up on pDX Craigslist every few months for $100-200 less than it cost me new which was before I rode the fuck out of it leashless on rocky points for eight years) but that’s because of the name and aspirational purchasing. Art makes hella nice boards, that Black Fern kid could use some practice, Cort Gion makes super good boards if you can find him and Oregon’s prodigal son Lanny Schuler also makes solid boards albeit with a mad scientist chic unrivaled anywhere in the developed world. If you called any of those blokes and told em what you wanted they would do you right. I’ve delivered a handful of craigslist Bonzer and Gary Hanel eggs to Oregon pals over the last couple of years. The kids love those things at Shorties. If you find something you like in the Southlands, let me know and we can fetch it for you and bring it up there next time me and the tools head north.

4. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    Surfnfish, that's a nice looking board. I may give him a call and see what the word is. If it's not this time then at some point down the road, can never have too many boards. The sandbar at Agate is not great right now. Hasn't been all that good since late last year. There was a couple of mornings where there was a really nice a frame breaking towards the rocks and was putting up some nice big green faces, but ever since the winter storms it just isn't working all that well from what I've seen. The peaks move around quite a bit more, which is good for spreading people out I guess. I really need to go further north and explore.

icecreamheadache, thanks for the info about the Vaquero, I'll scratch it off the list and think about that if we ever end up back in California. I can see how a Hanel would go well up here. It was a blast to ride in Costa Rica on head high witch's rock. My buddy rides one in Encinitas and loves it. Thanks for the offer to board train something up here. I'm always looking at craigslist down there (it's how I scored a 9'4 ITP). I tell you if I still lived in California I'd have 20 boards, the used market is awesome down there. If I go with the Mitsven Magic I'll pick it up at Christmas and drive it back up.

Thanks all, really appreciate the input. I'm going to give Bob a call tomorrow and hear what he has to say and will do the same with Art.

5. GETWET

GETWET Member

Aug 14, 2008
    oahu
    Aloha,

Dane Perlee. Osprey Surfboards.
    He shapes, surfs and lives there.
    A great family man to deal with.
    Oh and he knows how to shape.
    Google him up.

6. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    another board to consider is the Huevo Ranchero from FCD, an egg shape designed by Fletcher with input from Devon Howard. A very good local rides one and swears by it. Bombproof epoxy construction. Jeff has several in the 7' range in stock at his PC shop, including this 7'8, and will always knock a $100 off this time of year. I'd like to try one myself.
    [​IMG]

Planktom likes this.
  7. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    I forgot about that model. Now I want one. Why can't there be a board rental service in Oregon, I'd like to try ALL the boards :)

8. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    I know it's not fashionable, but Rusty P. is one of the most knowledgable and talented shapers around, and I'd have to recommend his Big Cat. Excellent all around board. I've got a 6'9" version that I should ride more. If you can find one, you will not be disappointed.

Latte likes this.