Mid length recommendation - Oregon surf

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by takedown, Oct 30, 2018.

1. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    Looking for people's top pick for mid lengths in the 7'8-8'0 range to ride on the Oregon coast primarily in waist to head high mushy beach break in Oregon. I think I want something with a pulled in nose instead of a mini-longboard. I'd like to ride it as either a single or 2+1. The Mitsven is at the top of the list because of what I've heard about working with him and I'd love to try a skip inspired shape. The Vaquero is up there too, but I think it would be too long to wait for a custom and it's tough to find them used. I had considered the Howard Mini, but after chatting with Howard and reading reviews it sounds like that board shines on big clean faces, which we just don't get here very often.

I'm an average surfer. I have some good days and some bad days. Just really looking to have fun and advance a bit. I really liked the Bing out here, but after trying a bunch of boards in Costa Rica I think I found I like the pulled in noses better.

Considering:

Mitsven Magic
    Andreini Vaquero
    Christenson Flat Tracker

The mid-lengths I've ridden and have enjoyed:

Bing Collector
    Gary Hanel Egg
    Bing Seeker
    RA pintail
    Che square tail

Any others I should consider before pulling the trigger? Thanks all!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  2. ClassicRider

ClassicRider Member

Sep 22, 2014
    USA Washington
    I am in the same boat and on the look out for when I head south to surf short sands or pacific city.

3. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Oregon beachbreak requires a different rocker, especially tail rocker, then the typical SoCal beachbreak board....waves up here steeper and faster...progressive tail rocker handles those late drops into a quick turn much better, and holds the steep wall better on the drive...I've ridden around 15 or so mid lengths in the past dozen years up here, from 4 different shapers, and this 8'0 speedster from Art Coyler easily the funnest.
    Art is usually a 4 week turn around from order at a very reasonable cost, especially if willing to drive to his business partners home in Portland to pick it up.
    8'0 x 15 x 21.5 x 14 x 3, single to double concave, low tapered rails
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    Thanks Surfnfish! We need to meet up to surf some time. I'd love to see some of your boards in person. Which other boards did you ride and like in Oregon waves.

Are there other boards that have similar rockers that I can look up to see what you are talking about?

It might be that I'm not surfing the same spots as you, but from what I've seen at Agate and Otter it doesn't get all that steep. I do tend to only go out when other people are out and on the less than head high days, so that could be it.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
  5. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    primarily surf Lincoln City and Pacific City...Will head down to Agate when that outside to inside reeling left sandbar makes it's rare appearance...Art Coyler makes a really sweet speed egg which might be just what you're looking for...full enough, racy enough, uses what he calls 'a constant curve outline and rocker'...excellent board from smaller to a bit overhead...plenty of glide for average Agate and Otter, well able to handle the crisper days...if I could only have one mid length in Oregon, it would be a North Pacific speed egg...during a board discussion, Gerry Lopez told me he considered Art, a former Rusty team shaper, a better shaper then he is...which says a lot

http://northpacificsurf.com/product/eggs/
    [​IMG]

6. DanSan

DanSan Active Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Fowler V8 4+1 44211069_1990545617651007_399360816689709056_o.jpg

DJR, deemce and hankster like this.
  7. ekim

ekim Active Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Highly recommend the Fowler V8 in Mush. I ride an 8'6" V8 with 10" velzy classic no sidebites up north of you. If you want something for steeper stuff go with what Surfnfish says.

8. Latte

Latte Member

Sep 2, 2008
    USA, near the witches
    I would think a Mitsven Magic with a little more kick at both ends would be great.

9. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK