magic fin set up

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by jerseymike, Nov 26, 2018.

1. jerseymike

jerseymike Member

Feb 19, 2004
    hi everyone , I have a 7”2 mitsven magic with a 2+1 setup using a 6.5 Frye And 3.25 true hex cell side bites . Wanna try other setup and seeing if anyone has any suggestions as a single or 2+1 .. thanks

2. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    8.5" Skip Frye flex is my go-to single for midlengths, find one with just the right amount of flex for you and they're magic. There's a fair bit of variation between fins though, some almost completely rigid and others with a relative lot of flex... nice when you can go through several in the shop and find the one you like. I have a green one that just flexes a bit at the tip and has a nice, stiff base. Love it.

Jesus Chewbacca and DJR like this.
  3. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    have tried out a bunch of 2+1 set-ups, and my favorites for the rear box is the Future Performance Longboard fin and the Dale Dobson model...Futures my usual go to because it has a tad more drive

find laminated fiberglass sidebites overly rigid, just anchor the rail...the injected fibreglass Futures sidebites, however, have a bit of inherent flex which provides a bit of pop out of the turn
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  4. Nathan Explosion

Nathan Explosion Member

Jul 20, 2014
    I had an 8'6" mitsven magic and rode it with the 6.5" frye with 3.25" north shore fins, didn't find a much better setup than that.

5. thomas

thomas Member

Nov 22, 2016
    San Diego
    Does North Shore still make fins? Looking for a quad fin set up...

6. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    Try it with a thruster setup. Small center fins that fit long center boxes can be found. I've got a 9'5" that is set up that way, and when I still rode boards that long, it was a blast in all kinds of surf. Really.

7. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Check out Hanalei Fins by Robin Mair. He’s on Facebook and has a web page. Very cool guy with some very nice fins. He has been doing quads for many many years.

thomas likes this.