Longevity in surfing: what’s your routine?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by houseofsuffering, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Yep, I just got the book (Fit to Form) and then played the YT clips to get the feel.

Def worth doing, especially if you spend a lot of time sitting each day. So simple too.. No need for hours of Pilates or anything else.

2. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Great thread.

At 61 I'm def feeling the effects of an all-or-nothing youth, 110% or failure, no in-between, drugs, binge-drinking, wrestling, baseball, motorcycles, surfing, of course. So the physical pain of past bills now due ain't the greatest. But age also has a way of slowing things down wonderfully, and I love that. I love being old. Ask me in ten or 20 years if I'm still here haha, but it's sweet now. Don't want anything. Nothing to prove. Give me a small, clean wave. All I need.

Ride a stationary bike 30 minutes every day, light weights, planks and balance exercises. Started meditating a year ago, my ADD keeps me at five minutes a day (and even then my mind wanders), but I do it every day. Half a beer every three or four months, otherwise nothing stronger than coffee, but the coffee's strong. Not holier than thou about the almost no booze and no drugs, simply that the sober thing works for me and the other, well, didn't. Also, my mind starts getting fuzzy in the afternoon anyway. I need all the help I can get.

This might be a good place to thank all the folks I've met on this forum through the years. Not to sound maudlin or anything. I appreciate it, is all.

Paul

DJR, Chilly Willy, Surfnfish and 5 others like this.
  3. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    "Also, my mind starts getting fuzzy in the afternoon anyway. I need all the help I can get. "☺

Honesty is good.

4. jbb

jbb Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Marry a woman ~24 years younger and start a fam. Looking at becoming a new dad at 60 if all goes as planned. Not much of a routine but provides motivation to stay fit for many years into the future. STOKED. :cool:

5. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    You might get some routine going yet.

jbb and Dawnpatrol like this.
  6. Basenji703

Basenji703 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Well, I will be 70 in November. I am surfing frequently and working with a trainer 30 minutes once a week. I try to do stretches every day. I have lost about 10 pounds and have kept it off by giving up a lot of carbs. I rarely drink. I surf with Roasdmaster and SharkB8 as much as I can. This works for me.

7. WhiteRussian

WhiteRussian Active Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Boston Harbor
    Bookmarked, as I cannot get through so much useful info at once.

Will be 50 in September. I quit any drinking last fall and it was easier than I thought it would be. Not sure if keep this kook longer in water lol, but sleep definitely improved, rest heart rate went down noticeably. Working on bringing BMI down and on adding another kiddo to the fam. These lil monkeys def keep you young lol.

Patrick Riley likes this.
  8. stewy

stewy Member

Jun 27, 2006
    USA New Jersey
    After reading all of the comments I ordered the "Foundation" by Dr Eric Goodman (to be clear) Huge difference in just a few days of starting the program ! Pretty simple stuff
    thanks to all who recommended it!

Planktom likes this.
  9. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    Turning into an old guy, but don't really feel that way. I work out in my home gym 3 days a week and cycle (mountain bike or stationary) 4 days a week. I'm still riding boards as small as 6'0" but have been more selective about which days I'll go surf. I have an upper limit around shoulder to head high now, keeps me out of crowds and I'm comfortable. Plenty of surf around here all year, so it works out fine. I practice pop-ups on a finless board several days a week and swim in the pool as much as I can. I also do visualization techniques at night before falling asleep, in order to reinforce muscle memory.

PeakMaster likes this.
  10. DJR

DJR Active Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    diet is pretty obvious but in the last fifteen minutes I’ve learned that according to you guys my wife is right with the food that I obediently shovel in and I need to definitely get back into a flat spell routine/maintenance routine - thank y’all for the further kick in the ass- especially concerning consistent yoga/ stretching - my lower back is always ready for a good crink up it seems
    Also I’d like to add prone paddle either on a big board or proper prone board whenever possible- good exercise and there’s nothing like stopping in the middle of a paddle at least a few hundred yards off shore and just taking in our aquatic wilderness - clears the mind and puts it all back into perspective

davey and Surfnfish like this.