Longevity in surfing: what’s your routine?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by houseofsuffering, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    ^This is excellent and pertinent advice Vet. A few of us are in that same 67+ age bracket and have surfed all our lives. The one thing I would add is the Daily water intake formula = total body weight divided by 2 = ounces of water you should drink. In the case of 100 oz. of water/day that would be for a 200 pound person. I need to get on the apple vinegar regime but am taking CQ10 and Tumeric daily. There is really something to be said about Chinese medicine, i.e., what modern medicine calls non-traditional.

DJR and SeniorGrom like this.
  2. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    Bible.
    I can't thank you enough for writing this.

Bighouse and Patrick Riley like this.
  3. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    I agree with all..
    I might add be open new ideas..
    I really never paid
    "The Foundation"
    Any mind..just another
    Slater click bait regime..
    But this year..saved my back..
    And knees..and i think was a major part
    Of my huge weight loss...
    And i do hope...good o.d mary ja e
    Will be more studied..accepted..and used/prescribed.
    Oh..and laugh...nothing funier..nor
    Dangerous than giving your spouse
    A "dutch oven"...yowza..i laughed all
    The way to the garage..good thing
    Its detached..and has heat.

DJR and Planktom like this.
  4. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Great stuff, adding to Vet and DP's outstanding advice I suggest reducing sugar intake as much as possible. It's insanely difficult because it is in everything. - The main reason to eliminate it is it is linked to inflammation as well as a host of other maladies including cancer. For a number of years I have been experiencing arthritis in my shoulder and recently I began to notice it in my other joints. Since I started laying off the sugar coupled with taking turmeric and boswellia I feel a huge difference in joint mobility and endurance. Drinking adequate water as Tom pointed cannot be over emphasized.

I dont do yoga but just do a lot of stretching through out the day while it do stuff my job is a mixture moderately physical labor and sitting at a desk so Im always trying to stay "loose." - I learned this from my dog and cat.

For more focused stuff since the area I live in doesnt allow me to surf very often (east coast blues) I spend several hours a week at the gym doing a variety of aerobic stuff, lifting weights and lots of abs and core work like planks, medicine ball stuff, vertical leaping. I have recently added the speed bag. I find that not only does this help with paddling endurance it also keeps hand eye coordination sharp.

5. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    yes, ditch the sugar as much as possible, gave up the ice cream and such long ago. Hydrate. Over hydration without adequate electrolytes can be harmful. Moderate the alcohol. Quit my previously much enjoyed evening wine 10 years ago, just logged me out as I got older. These days if in the mood a little Indica in the evening.

Regarding nutrition. Our diet would bore most people to death. Organic hot oats and berries every am, rarely any red meat, primarily organic chicken, lotta salmon, big salads, I juice up a fresh quart every morning from a bunch of assorted vegetables and pineapple. Kids come to visit with their kids, they paw through our cupboards.."WTF, when did you become monks?"..and off to the store they go
    . .
    Exercise daily. Each morning, before I do anything else, warm up stretches on the floor, then 200 crunches done slow and done right, and then plank sets. The core is everything. When not surfing, I swim laps 2 to 3 days a week, lift weights and spin 2 to 3 days a week.

Pain and inflammation, the brutal companion of a life well lived. Have had two knee repairs,detached rotator cuff repair, detached pec repair (backcountry snowboarding can be brutal), a fractured hip in winter Hanalei became a replaced hip decades later. Broken bones, stitches...all part of going hard.

Tumeric and Boswellia do work, as do CQ10 and joint supplements. Regardless, still spool up the NSAD's as needed when going hard and the body complaining about it. Celebrex the go to for short periods, have a great doc (surfer) who puts me through an intensive annual physical including liver functions.

It's all about good habits and routines, developed and adhered to. No magic bullets, just common sense, determine what works for you. And above all, just keep surfing. Doesn't matter if you paddle out five days a week, or 5 days a month, just make sure you do. Our life is always better when it's been washed clean in the salt...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    houseofsuffering and Bighouse like this.
  6. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Golden advice from a number of folk - thank you.

I guess I must be old enough to listen and young enough to still put some good habits into practice now! 20yrs ago, I would have just blown it off...

Coffee and alcohol are not great for inflammation either and I've definitely cut the booze down in the last ten years... Coffee though, well that's my Achilles heel unfortunately. I love coffee.

In the context of skating, the effects of aging are felt far earlier than surfing, for me at least.. risks are rarely taken now if I'm honest, but as Vet articulated very well - I just feel thankful to still roll when and how I can now, unencumbered with expectations I previously had in terms of 'performance'.

So, is it fair to say that the mental thing is just as, if not more, important than keeping physically in shape?

7. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Both the Foundation stuff and CBD are good things... What's the legal status of CBD in the States? It's pricey here in the UK, but becoming more affordable.

DanSan likes this.
  8. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Cbd..from hemp ..legal nation wide
    Cannabis- states vary..nation not

9. johnxyz

johnxyz Member

Apr 7, 2004
    I checked out Eric Goodman’s Foundation method on YouTube after you referenced it on the forum here.
    Question: Did you take classes with a cert. Foundation trainer, or just followed the 12 minute YouTube vid?

Another YouTuber is John Bergman - Owners Guide - although some of the claims for healing by chiros is absolute quackery in the age of modern medicine - there are some useful takeaways from his channel - at least he’s funny.

Great thread - helpful/ useful advice here. Thanks.

10. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Oh believe me..after 30 yrs in the OR
    As a surgical tech 1st asst. Another 6yrs as a medical surgical rep..and now going on 4yrs as
    An adjunct professor..you see and hear alotta wacky stuff..
    So im skeptical x 1000
    I bought the first book..
    "The Foundation"
    Did it..and starting feeling better..
    The got the second book..
    "Fit to Form"..and voila'
    My back is way
    .way better..
    I check facebook.
    Instagram
    People post vids..tips
    But if you carefully read the book
    Take ypur time..
    Easy peazy...15-20minutes 6days/week

I do plan on going to a group class

Another..thing...resistance bands are amazing...i use bodylastics...pliability..
    Flexible strength..is key..
    Some may think it's a gimmerick
    When tom brady's trainer was touting it.
    But dang...the guy is 42?.. and still slinging.it.
    If decides to do the george blanda route..he could be a kicker until his 60s..ha

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019