Longevity in surfing: what’s your routine?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by houseofsuffering, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    My lad is only 3yrs... I live in hope, but I'm not gonna push things!

2. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    +1 on this. My glory days of bar hopping are well in the rearview, but it used to be nearly impossible to hit even the 10 am surf check. I hardly ever drink these days and rarely surpass one beer when I do. Getting up early is a piece of cake now, and I've never surfed so many dawn patrols. I'm out of the water by the time the wind shifts and all the hungover schlubs come out of the woodwork. (No offense to any hungover schlubs out there.) And I love rubbing it in when my buddy finally shows up after a long night and I get to tell him how great it was two hours ago. I definitely don't miss the hangover thing.

DKNJ and Patrick Riley like this.
  3. slideright

slideright Member

Oct 19, 2006
    I started running four weeks ago, went from couch to running my first 5k in less than two weeks. I feel great and have way more energy in the water. My mood has improved and I've lost over 10lbs

Makawaosurfer93 and deemce like this.
  4. Tlri

Tlri Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Rhode island
    Yeah 3 might be pushing it but...
    if they see you having fun they’ll want to join in. Swim lessons and getting comfortable in/around the water. I did a fair amount of flat water paddling with my kids on the nose of and old windsurfer at that age.

Planktom likes this.
  5. houseofsuffering

houseofsuffering Active Member

Nov 1, 2005
    XXX
    Got both kids surfing already which is cool and definitely helps to get more sessions in.

All the “tips” are great. Already lost a pound from reading. Stoked.

davey likes this.
  6. davey

davey Active Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Australia
    Confucius says 'Don't train to surf better, surf to surf better'.

7. Tlri

Tlri Active Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Rhode island
    After a few lackluster sessions in thick rubber with weak arms I ordered a pack of resistance bands. I’m trying to get 15-20 minutes of shoulder strength work in each night while watching a game or surfing on tv. Hoping when the wetsuits get thin or come off and the workouts add up the results will be there.

8. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Great thread houseofsuffering! Well the bottom line to stay in shape for surfing is surfing 3-4 days a week perhaps several hours or more a day which I did through my 20's, watching your diet and weekly yoga. I'm pushing 70 now and surfing up here in the PNW isn't a weekly thing. To stay in shape for surfing I swim at our local 'Y' 5-7 days a week, 1,000-1,500 meters/day. Two Aleves when the shoulder feels impinged from a previous dislocate. But recently, I've been doing a long overdue recertification for my Lifeguard card. I'm in a class with 7 young folks from 15-18 y.o. Talk about humbling and a way to stay in shape being in a pool for 9 hours at a time with these kids! Even Refresh eyedrops can't get the red out!

SeniorGrom, Planktom and Surfnfish like this.
  9. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    MIssion Viejo, California
    I’m not sure I can offer many tips, but at 67 at least I’m out there. Been a tough last year or so with health stuff, so I haven’t been able to get out as much. And as a SoCal wuss it has been a bit cold.

My mantra has been surfing and cycling as lifelong exercise... works the whole body and great cardio. Until my wife’s open heart surgery 1-1/2 years ago, I never went to the gym. My exercise has been doing some sport. Now I go to the gym and do exercises to keep me doing what I like. I also use a Boso ball platform side to work on my balance. Losing my balance as I get older is a concern.

I’m eating more chicken and turkey, and I never drank much; didn’t smoke. Eating better helps, but I’m no health nut. Only weeds growing in my backyard.

Surfing with your kids is the best. It’s funny but I didn’t realize I was in my 50’s when I did most of my surfing with our boys.

I’ll keep paddling out and pushing the pedals until it is no longer fun. But so far even ankle slappers are enough.

Johni

10. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    One absolute, if you are lucky enough to reach a certain vintage (especially as a surfer) you will have pain. More and more every year. The main commonality between all those different aches and pains in inflammation. Plain and simple.
    To fight that inflammation (and to keep my immune system dialed to 10), I'm on a daily regime of turmeric and boswellia and MSM & Cal-Mag before bed. Along with an ever changing (as I "change") combo of Chinese herb formulas (my wife is a doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine, TCM) that I will not go into here. Also, drinking at LEAST 100 oz of water a day and apple cider vinegar (w/ "the mother") at least twice a day. If I even think about skipping my cardio warm up followed by my stretching/yoga routine, I start hurting. Just even THINK about blowing that part of my day off. That's how important it is to my functionality. I try to live clean & surf clean. Those are my daily goals.
    I'm turning 70 real soon and have been stand up surfing since '58. This winter ( December & January specifically) I surfed better than I have since my early-mid 50s (which was one of the high points during my 60+ years surfing). Go figure.
    One advantage of getting old (and there are a couple!) is gratitude and deep appreciation for being able to remain active and vital. Especially as all your friends of your vintage are visiting doctors 3-4 times a week, have quit surfing decades ago and moan and whine about getting old. And I'm not even bringing up the ones already dead. Live clean, surf clean. And surf cheap and deep.

DJR, m8r, Planktom and 9 others like this.