Longevity in surfing: what’s your routine?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by houseofsuffering, Mar 12, 2019.

1. houseofsuffering

houseofsuffering Active Member

Nov 1, 2005
    XXX
    The older get, the more interested I am in what surfers are doing to keep themselves in surfing shape.

Right now, I’m at a point where soccer practices, bus pick ups and other joys of parenting really limit my water time and I’m sure there are others like me who have gone through the same thing. With limited time, I want to max out what I’m doing to benefit me in the water.

The winter hacks thread gave some good ideas that I never thought of, so I figured maybe I’d get some new ideas here. What’s your routine no matter what your age to maintain being ready to surf and injury free?

Dawnpatrol likes this.
  2. dingpatch

dingpatch Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Florida USA
    It all boils down to the simple fact that you will be a "cruiser" for a lot longer than you will ever be a "ripper".

Oh, and, , , , I find out today if/when I can get this damn chemo port out! I can not paddle with it in my chest.

3. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    I get this fairly often and the answer I always give is that down the road it becomes way more important what you're Not doing. Don't go adding things to an unhealthy life, it not only won't work but will most likely do much more harm than good. Don't put extra lettuce on the whopper, stop eating the fucking whopper. by the time you quit drinking, smoking, cutting out processed foods, etc... your body will become cleaner, leaner, sleep better, move smoother, and actually be physically ready to not only just start, but actually enjoy and sustain any new physical activities. Your mind and heart - all connected- will be clearer and stronger too and now all 3 can function together in strength and energy. That is the key to unlocking your full human potential.

4. rootdown

rootdown Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Rhode Island
    Staying in shape takes more work as you get older, but there is no real secret. You have to stay active, exercise daily and not eat shitty food.

DKNJ likes this.
  5. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    I could type a whole page on this but let me distill it down:
    Live clean, accept the inviable parts of the aging process, keep moving and don't look for excuses not to paddle out.

DJR, DKNJ, Basenji703 and 6 others like this.
  6. Patrick Riley

Patrick Riley Member

May 15, 2018
    Jacksonville Beach
    I hit 40 this year and have been asking myself this quite a bit. I work for as a firefighter so I have always maintained a pretty consistent excercise routine. Lately though I have been asking myself how can I do all the things I enjoy (my profession, surfing, skateboarding) effectively, enjoyably, and without getting hurt.

I gave up drinking last year for a multitude of reasons but the health benefits and correlation of days spent in the water were undeniable. It's way easier to get up early and surf when one is not hungover.

For a more direct answer to your question. Lately I have been doing Yoga 2 times a week. It was something I thought about doing for a while, but I really wish I had started a long time ago. It's great for the body and flexibility and range of motion go hand in hand with both surfing and not getting hurt in my line of work. So much of my coworkers are focused on strength that I feel range of motion, stretching, and flexibility are things that get put on the back burner when they really should be at the forefront.

I've also been trying to surf more, at least on days I wouldn't normally go out, honestly, nothing keeps you in better surf shape than surfing.

DJR and houseofsuffering like this.
  7. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    The legacy of injuries is the thing that's getting to me at the moment.. osteoarthritis, nerve damage, decreased ROM etc. (and I'm still 5 years away from 50).

To mitigate these effects, I try to eat Mediterranean style as much as possible - pots of fresh veg, oily fish etc. No processed stuff. High strength Curcumin/Pepper/Ginger caps each day and CBD oil....

Instead of trying to squeeze exercise in where no time is available, I try to 'snack move' whilst doing the mundane.... standing up whilst taking a call and stretching, parking as far away in from the supermarket as possible and carrying the bags back, rather than using a cart etc.

Sounds stupid, but it's these little changes that need to creep back into modern life so as to make it similar to that led by our grandparents, who on the whole, were just fitter as a generation despite the lack of $5000 bicycles, fitbit watches, personal trainers etc.

Not sure if you can get this stateside, but it's a good read:

https://drchatterjee.com/book/

It's a kind of 'anti-fad' approach and he manages that magic strike of giving you enough information to want to change your daily life, then provides simple changes that pretty much anyone can apply to themselves.

houseofsuffering likes this.
  8. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Sometimes, (actually, more often than not) the surf is horrendous here - 20mph onshores, wrong tides and so on - but even if you paddle out for 15min and get one wave, it's one more than you would have had if you'd passed up the chance. Being fussy is a slippery slope!

DJR likes this.
  9. JMJackFish

JMJackFish Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    I'm on the road a ton and that adds an extra element to the equation. I was turned on to the 7 minute workout App by JnJ years ago. You can customize it to fit your needs. I try to do it every morning - I do the customized one that lasts ~ 15 minutes. It is an easy to follow workout that hits mainly the core and cardio. It makes a huge difference in the water. I pop up so much quicker and seem to be stronger on my board.
    I also run 4 or so times a week but limit it to 3 miles with variable pace. Play in an adult soccer league and skateboard a few times a month. The skating seems to be taking a backseat in my late 40's. 48 this week.
    Most importantly is I try to surf every free minute I can. If it is even barely breaking I go. That is why I have a quiver - ha. Trying to justify the hoard of boards in here.

DJR and houseofsuffering like this.