longboard

Discussion in 'Skate' started by log donkey, Nov 29, 2004.

1. log donkey

log donkey Member

Sep 8, 2004
    USA California
    ok, so i know the tuna and python and all the jam boards will be plugged BUT

i have seen some on craigslist in my area for $100 and want some opinions as i know very little about them..

i'd like to get a longboard to skate on and mainly practice cross stepping and just fun freestyle... i'm not really looking to bomb downhill or anything...

i could get this sector 9 for $100, practically brand new...

[​IMG]

or a choice from some different 'soul boards' for $100

[​IMG]

what can you all tell me eh?

i don't have a lotta cash to throw down and just want something soon... maybe down the road i can spend 300 on a python or something...

thanks in advance

2. silversurf

silversurf New Member

Apr 7, 2004
    USA Texas
    LD,

I've been going through much the same process myself and discovered in my research that longboard skateboards are a lot more complicated than I ever thought. For instance, decks can use anywhere from 7 to 15 plys of wood, giving you a lot of flex at one end and not much at all at the other (depending on how much you weigh, I guess). I'm thinking that for a surf-like feel, for walking the nose, etc., less flex is probably better than a lot of flex. Now, for bombing hills or slalom or something, maybe it's the opposite.

Then you've got different style trucks, some with bushings, some with springs, etc., and different wheel sizes, softness ... bewildering.

There are some decent sites out there to help with some of the confusion. The N.Cal. Downhill Skateboard Association -- www.ncdsa.com -- is broken down into a ton of different topics for equipment -- decks, trucks, wheels, bearings, "completes -- to a bunch of skating styles. Search function, links, etc.

Anyway, I spent a few days cruising eBay and ended up buying a new Barfoot complete for $110 plus $15 shipping to Texas. List price on the website is $169, so it was a decent savings. It has a real surfboard shape to it and some pretty good parts included. (check the website for some very cool looking -- but more expensive -- versions of "signature" longboards.) Anyway, lots of choices on eBay and through some of the online vendors, so look around a little and you can probably get something brand new for close to the price of used.

Mike

3. log donkey

log donkey Member

Sep 8, 2004
    USA California
    thanks much silversurf!

anybody have any experience with 'fluent longboards'?

4. lonedog

lonedog New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA California
    im fluent in spanglish.......

5. log donkey

log donkey Member

Sep 8, 2004
    USA California
    lonedog wrote:

6. skeeter

skeeter New Member

Mar 11, 2004
    USA Delaware
    you get what you pay for. no different with skateboards.

7. log donkey

log donkey Member

Sep 8, 2004
    USA California
    skeeter wrote:
    thanks man,... helpful

8. piranha

piranha New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    USA Hawaii
    Go for the Soul Board!!

Sector Nine's are okay but it's important to think outside the box once in a while......even if you can get one for a hundred bucks. There is a reason they're so inexpensive. We'll let it go at that.

9. piranha

piranha New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    USA Hawaii
    I have a Barfoot in my quiver and agree with Silversurf. It's a nice ride. Not a real log, but comfy and well made. I do think they should put some bigger wheels on it to top off the retro surf feel..

10. piranha

piranha New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    USA Hawaii
    Fluent Longboards sold on the Vertigo Boards site reek of Chinese fabrication bigtime. They look nice, cool wood, etc....but I would wager that the people who made 'em are making two dollars a day if they're lucky!!