Longboard Magazine

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by jdogger, Nov 23, 2006.

1. jdogger

jdogger Active Member

Apr 4, 2006
    USA California
    mro87 wrote:
    Right on.

2. richard tator

richard tator New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    USA New Jersey
    HMMMM, WHEN I was a kid I read surfer regularly, as I got older and rarely rode a short board the mag was less apealing, I had no interest in seeing airs and such, dropped my subscription and bought it when I saw an interesting article(like when Jay Moriarty was on the cover). Also the amount of ads were disturbing.

Then along comes LB mag, and the Journal. I enjoy both of these mags.

Surfers Journal is in a leauge of its own, top notch.

Longboard mag seams pretty damn good to me. Ive been trying to see where the problem is but I dont. They are giving the ladys alot of exposure too!!!

Any how, its seems pretty good to me, and I hope it keeps on coming.

3. slosurf

slosurf Active Member

Sep 1, 2004
    USA Maryland
    I saw the laest issue at a landlocked Border's Books in Virginia. I am a long time subscriber - when the heck is my copy going to show up in my mailbox?!?!?!?!? This happens time after time - I see it in the shops or bookstore and then weeks later it shows up. Way to treat your core customer base, LBM! It really pisses me off!

My other issue with the magazine is that the editorial quality has deteriorated. I wasn't necessarily opposed to a whole issue about spots south of the boarder. It's just that the articles/pieces were not all that good. These travelogues were, at best, sophmoric in quality compared to better TSJ or even The Surfer's Path (or even Surfer Magazine). Better writing, better photos, and some more user-friendly information about where readers can stay or get more information on the locales would have been nice.

The magazine could be doing a much better time showcasing what are real exciting times in longboarding. (From post-Clark options, to CJ Nelson and similar noseriding savants, to Creme.) I recognize that some of this stuff is being covered but the quality all around is weak.

You wonder how many letters to the editor with similar complaints about the irregular publishing, etc that they are receiving and ignoring? Perhaps we should just print this thread out and send it as a letter to the editor. I am guessing it too would be flat out ignored.

Whoever is running LBM these days either has absolutely zero sensitivity to customer service, zero understanding of how to properly run a busines, or has some other problems that is running what used to be a pretty decent magazine into the ground.

4. dewey

dewey Member

Feb 16, 2004
    St George, Ut
    I also like the Mag but have dropped my subscription only because they can't seem to get it to me on time.If I here they have fixed this problem I will start getting it again.

dewey:cool:

5. jdogger

jdogger Active Member

Apr 4, 2006
    USA California
    Yeah, that's one of the bitchs. I'd love to see it keep coming but it doesn't. I'm a subscriber and I haven't seen one since August.

6. Saltydog

Saltydog Member

Feb 13, 2006
    USA Texas
    Hey Mr. Motil,

I just got the new issue of TSJ today. Included in it's 128 pages of surf publication high art was an article entitled "Soundings IV- A fin Study with 11 Professors of the Craft". You can take that one off of the list .

Ah... By the way, ya got any job position openings for a content quality control officer??

7. jdogger

jdogger Active Member

Apr 4, 2006
    USA California
    I finally got my "South of the Border" issue today.

8. houseofsuffering

houseofsuffering Active Member

Nov 1, 2005
    XXX
    Me too. I figure if I read a page a day, I can make it last until the next issue comes four months later.

A couple of photos in it looked awfully familiar, like from a past issue but just resized? I could have sworn I saw a few before!

9. waterlogged

waterlogged New Member

Nov 15, 2006
    USA
    Been busy today so I just sent the "invite" (link to this thread) to Guy just a few minutes ago. We shall see.....

10. jdogger

jdogger Active Member

Apr 4, 2006
    USA California
    I'm just happy that I finally got one. I'll shut up now.