Longboard finds - not deals

Discussion in 'Longboard Surf Buy/Sell/Trade' started by longhairhippie, Jan 31, 2017.

1. 306Bing

306Bing Active Member

Oct 1, 2015
    OCNJ
    and why is the ding or spider or damage always on the logo?

DJR likes this.
  2. SDBoardHoarder

SDBoardHoarder New Member

Sep 28, 2018
    San Diego
  3. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    Have you been able to find anything that says he has signed boards he didn't shape? I have it in my head that I want to get a Donald shaped Model T, but if he signed ghost shaped boards I'll just forget about that. Nice double ender, ridiculous price. Someone had told me there was a collector near where this board is that had access to a lot of original Donald boards that he had shaped and had not been ridden. This might be that collector.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  4. michael

michael Active Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    i've got the same idea, would love to find an original model t... even tho the floaty RC version might be more appropriate for my beach break. the heart wants what it wants

5. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Read it and weep, he signed a thousand boards that were ghosted. But he did "look them over" as he signed.

shadydave likes this.
  6. SDBoardHoarder

SDBoardHoarder New Member

Sep 28, 2018
    San Diego
    For sure there are a bunch of different threads online about, and many in the industry will confirm (Tudor, Sakoda who ghost shaped for him for 20 years, etc). Nothing against the boards, I have a mini howard special signed by Donald I love, but just consider them designed and 'looked over' by Takayama, don't be fooled into thinking he actually shaped it based on the presence of his signature. I don't doubt there are boards out there Donald did hand shape, just haven't seen anyone able to confirm based on a signature. I do remember reading if there was a personal inscription + sig it was much more likely to have been shaped by him, as he was mainly doing friends/family and leaving production to the 'ghosts'. Who knows!

7. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    DJR likes this.
  8. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    Thanks for the Takayama knowledge. My Model T purchase suddenly became cheaper :) I don't know why the signature was important other than I never had the chance to meet him and I connect with his boards so I'd like to own one that he shaped.

9. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    This thought is a recurring one here. Well known label shaped or not by the originator of that label. If it works and I shaped it, it still works. (I have 0 shaping chops BTW)
    Enjoy what you have and be thankful you are able to enjoy it.

10. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

I can only imagine because Josh and/or Anderson probably aren’t as well-known on the EC. That board is a steal—especially back east—at that price.

DJR likes this.