Logs with concave bottoms?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by jory, Jun 14, 2018.

1. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    E98FE1A8-7B42-4403-9B44-232FA5F22D16.png CA8529C3-FE6C-4578-B96B-303200A4A0A0.png 7B30ABF1-2D2B-41AD-81FD-3B61D26144AD.png Anyone have have any experience of riding something like this? I’m curious. I know the bing James parry has a similar thing going on but less extreme. These are the cinnamon girl model from MS surfboards in Australia.

I don’t think I can afford to import one but toying with the idea of getting someone local to shape something similar!

bonzer likes this.
  2. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom

In motion

Gretsch likes this.
  3. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    IMG_0555.JPG In case anyone is interested, I got a mate to make me one. First surf today! Template is one I'm familiar with and know works for me/ at my beaches.

Was offshore, windy and peaky waist high beach break today. Not perfect but ok to get a feel. Trims so fast and was Super loose off the tail. Fin is a flexy 4a style and it whipped through cutbacks and loved a nicely engaged full rail bottom turn. The concave is definitely a turning element. It felt like the water wasn't "sticking" to the board and you could really whip it however you fancied on the face. Had a couple of really nice left go rights with a really swoopy projection out of the bottom.

Noseriding was good but I think this bottom sacrifices some tip control for turning performance. Super solid cheater fives in fast trim - real section beating speed in a stretched five position, a little squirly on a full 5 or 10. It feels like it will track up and out of the wave if you're not careful setting up and it's a bit twitchier in a proper noseride than my similar board without the concave. It was super fun though and I'm looking forward to another session. It's the most "performance" log I've had! IMG_1663.JPG

4. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    For reference, the bottom is a flat entry, the concave is deepest in the middle of the length and blends out a few inches in front of the fin. It's not super scooped, more just flattening the rocker along the stringer. Imagine shaping a normal bellied bottom log then cutting the concave through the centre to flatten the stringer line. It almost looks a little like an edge board idea without the actual mid bottom edge. It's medium weight and fully soft railed. As close to the MS ones I posted above as I could work out.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    zippy, ekim, Planktom and 1 other person like this.
  5. JBorbone

JBorbone Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    very cool, thanks for the ride report! they look very lively in videos of Ivy surfing them, so I'm sure you'll love it.

6. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Active Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
    something about those curves makes me tingle inside

7. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Wait.. It was offshore today?

Will have to check this out! Had a good chat to both Matt and Randall about the design the other day.. Good to hear it is quick in trim as well as loose, win-win.

8. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    P-land was offshore until lunchtime and loggable from mid tide! :)

Will post further thoughts when I’ve surfed again. If you want to grab it and ride it just text me mate!

Planktom likes this.
  9. Gill

Gill Active Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Spring Lake Heights, NJ
    Cool thanks for posting back after getting one and trying it!

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts after riding it for a while - like once you got the board wired in differnt conditions... plus some more pics lol

10. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    No worries, I'll definitely do that and keep the thread updated! Looks like a week of strong onshores and huge swell here so I'm going to have to wait a while for another go.

It will be interesting to se if it feels like it tracks up so much on a slower wave or lighter wind. It was pretty much howling offshore by the time I got out so regardless of bottom shape there was a lot of wind hitting the underside of the board.

Stay tuned to this channel! :)