Lance Carson

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by d123, Sep 3, 2008.

1. d123

d123 Member

Apr 13, 2006
    USA California
    Does Lance still have his shop in El Segundo?

2. little AL

little AL Member

Feb 17, 2004
    USA
    No. Lance does not have a shop anymore he closed it about a month ago. Times are hard everywhere.

3. northbeachboy

northbeachboy Active Member

Aug 16, 2004
    USA California
    Does he have any boards still available?:shock:

4. little AL

little AL Member

Feb 17, 2004
    USA
    He is still shaping boards and will have a few for sale before too long, he just could not keep the shop the overhead was too high and orders for customs were not coming in fast enough to keep it all going. What are you looking for and I will ask if he has something to your liking? The last time I talked to him he has some guns going 8'6, 9',9'6, 10', and some 10'6. They were real sweet looking two outside Tban stringer with a 1/2 inch balsa, in the center of 2 redwood outside, and one redwood as a center stringer. Not sure he has any pics of one of them but they were sure sweet looking.

5. twizzly

twizzly Member

Dec 22, 2006
    little AL wrote:
    I believe Lance with sharing space with Tyler for a while (see One California Day!!!) and he may have moved out to start up his own gig -- then it slowed down too much too quickly.

The whole situation is a damn shame... guys like this are practically national treasures. Apparently Wayne Okamoto was using his machinery to prep blanks for Lance and has a lot of his templates scanned in. At one point, when I found out about Lance closing shop, Wayne told me that if I ever wanted a board shaped by Lance, he could still use Wayne's shaping bay to shape it. Times get better and I'll order one. Salt of the earth kind of guys. Really sad.

6. little AL

little AL Member

Feb 17, 2004
    USA
    Lance is building himself a shaping bay, in fact it should be done real soon, if it is not done already. He will be back shaping boards, he just had to cut back on the overhead. Like twizzly says he is like a living treasure. He is a great shaper, a great guy and a good friend.

Some of you may not know how lucky we are to still have some of the greats of surfing history still alive. I feel honored to have met so many of the great surfers, and shapers of my youth, they were like Greek Gods to us back then. For some reason the difference between 14 year old and 19 years old was such a big deal. Now the difference between 60 years old and 65 years old does not seem like such a big deal. It is even better to see some of them still surfing, and to be able to surf with them is such an honor. Some of the older guys are having trouble standing up but they just can not give up there love of the waves. I was talking to Johnny Rice the other day and he was telling me about catching some waves at the Hook. He took off on a wave and ended up burning some guy on a wave. The guy blows up on him and starts yelling about kicking his ass. Johnny tells me all he said was go ahead if it makes you feel better that you can kick the ass of a 70 year old man then go for it. For those of you that don't know who Johnny Rice is, he started out sand boards for Velzy for .50 per side. Velzy taught him his shaping skills, and he is now shapeing boards here in Santa Cruz. Johnny has had open heard surgery, and has a plate in is lower back. Yet he is still out there every change he gets.

twizzly wrote:

7. slosurf

slosurf Active Member

Sep 1, 2004
    USA Maryland
    I love my Power Glide and Parallel Bananna. His boards are top notch logs.

8. Steiny

Steiny New Member

Mar 31, 2004
    USA California
    Wow- If i ever heard anyone speak like that to Johnny I would not be able to control myself. Johnny was there the first day the Wild Hook was surfed in the late 50s. Considering that Johnny is a karate black belt kicking his ass might not be as easy as you might think.

We stand on the shoulders of giants.

9. little AL

little AL Member

Feb 17, 2004
    USA
    If you feel this way about Johnny we will not even talk about what happened to Doug Haut.

Steiny wrote:

10. Waterlogged Nomad

Waterlogged Nomad Member

Mar 8, 2007
    USA California
    Surfing legend Mr. Lance Carson to receive MSA Surfer Award.

Lance Carson will be on hand Saturday at the Malibu Classic contest. This is the 45th anniversary of the original contest. Should be a fun weekend.

WN