J-Bay Twin Keel WSL Heat!

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by kpd73, Jul 15, 2017.

1. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    Haven't watched yet, but am stoked on the format. Pro's riding twin keel fishes for one heat during the J-Bay contest.
    Love, Hate, or not care about Pro Surfing, this is pretty cool.

zippy and davesburgers like this.
  2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Thanks for posting. Going back to watching more. Cool commentary and fun to see just how talented the guys are.

3. xyzzy

xyzzy Active Member

Sep 2, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    So cool. Also a good demonstration of just how difficult riding twin keels backside is.

Ticowannabe likes this.
  4. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Rated Must Watch by me.

5. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    Seriously. How much fun were they having? Smiles for miles and that Energy translated right back to the viewer. Having Shaun Tomson and Pottz on tap was killer too. Clean flowing lines and really seeing them growing into the boards.
    Bonus footage and a better idea of Just how fast they were going? - Hit the full screen and watch before they zoomed in to the main event. You'll see a dozen or so waves and realize they're just FLYing.
    Rad that they used a local shaper for the boards too. Man, EVERYthing about this was positive. Stoked.
    I came away with a really good feeling after this and can't wait to watch it again. Really fun time.

6. cheyneskeezer

cheyneskeezer Active Member

May 30, 2017
    Long Beach CA
    Nothing beats a twin for so cal surf... if I'm not riding long boards and it's good im riding a contemporary lis/frye style fish !

SlidetheLightning likes this.
  7. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    That was awesome! They should do stuff like this more often with pro contests and/or heats just to keep things interesting instead of the same old thrusters only routine. What an incredible wave for a twin keel fish, too. You could tell these guys usually surf thrusters because they seemed to really keep that back foot planted far back on the tail the whole time. Contrast that with the retro fish part of Sprout when Rasta is riding his fish -- his back foot is up ahead of the fins and is absolutely flying, but then drops it back a little farther when he's going to do a big turn. (2:50 here: )

SlidetheLightning likes this.
  8. cheyneskeezer

cheyneskeezer Active Member

May 30, 2017
    Long Beach CA
    When I think fish perfection I think burch in psychic migrations

Igosurf likes this.
  9. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    0:09-0:18 - Yewwww! Love that casual arched bottom turn followed by the onslaught of beautiful cutbacks.

10. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    High speed shennanigans from Asher Pacey on a self shaped twin keel. Board is 4'10

Igosurf, Chilly Willy and Stringer like this.