Interesting information

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by nedsurf, May 3, 2019.

1. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Recently posted on facebook:
    Today we did offshore surface water-sampling to inform the world about radiation (and briefly gawked at sea lions). Since monitoring of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster began, @bamfieldmsc has been participating as a collector of water samples for radiation monitoring with the Fukushima InFORM project (Integrated Fukushima Ocean Radionuclide Monitoring). This has been a super-collaborative project with main investigators from universities in BC, Fisheries and Oceans, Health Canada, Woods Hope Oceanographic, Ottawa U, and MANY citizen science NGOs. The best news from this project is that 8 years after the nuclear event, levels of radiation contamination in seawater are lower now than they were during the height of nuclear testing in the Pacific, and levels in Pacific salmon are lower than they were in the 1960s! That’s great news! And it’s news we wouldn’t have if it weren’t for the efforts of so many dedicated samplers and researchers! For more information (FAQs, articles, photos of ‘informal’ researchers in action, and more!) visit fukushimainform.ca @ Barkley Sound - Broken Group Islands

2. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Doumo Arigatou Gozaimasu!!!

DJR likes this.
  3. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    That genuinely is great news for the environment, marine life, and people of Japan who now while able to enjoy the ocean again worry free, are going to be far too busy with the task of constructing Mecha-Godzilla.
    That radiation went somewhere...

4. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    Guess I can cancel my order for a lead lined wetsuit. I was so looking forward to glow in the dark night surfing.

5. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Active Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Speaking of "glow in the dark night surfing"........ those red tides were always welcome for us back in the 70's and 80's.

The first time I jumpedfin the water at Rincon cove and took a stroke thru the water the effect was stunning!

As crowds grew, we learned to watch for guys tracks behind their board to avoid getting hit if possible. I still remember one late takeoff I got at the top of the cove and instinctively leaning in and crouching as the moon disappeared with the lip coming over. Next thing I knew I was hurtling along all aglow in the tube. The sensation was like I was going a million miles an hour - exactly like the first right slide I ever got @ the Sand Bar SB Harbor in 1959.

That wave hooked me on surfing forever.

deemce, Artz and SeniorGrom like this.