In the market for a car...

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by racebikes, Apr 11, 2019.

1. racebikes

racebikes Member

Aug 11, 2014
    My trusty 2005 Honda Civic is starting to descend into that space where it's too expensive to keep for such a crappy car, you know what I mean? I also have a couple kids so I want to make sure they're in a safe vehicle especially with summer road trips coming up. So.

I wanted to ask all you fine folk what vehicle you would consider if your budget was like $20K or so. Open to new but I doubt I have many options. Used is fine, and probably better since I like to throw my surf gear in the back and the kids stuff as well.

Thoughts? Opinions? Grumblings about your personal purchase? All appreciated. Thanks Jammers.

2. WhiteRussian

WhiteRussian Active Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Boston Harbor
    There are so many options depends on your priorities. Style, size, etc. If you do not define parameters your search and list of suggestion are going to be endless...
    One thing about used cars. Certified car from the dealer often comes with a warranty that equal to or better than new cars has.

3. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Stick with the Japanese, gas & oil is all they take and you should be able to buy a low mileage one for 20k

4. racebikes

racebikes Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Was thinking of a Subaru Outback or similar. Big enough for kids and surf gear and that built in roof rack helps.

Lackosense and Artz like this.
  5. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    You should be able to find a good Used Outback for around 20K I have a 2010 Forster. With close a 100K Miles. Only had one small problem a slow leak in a air conditioner line. Found fixed and out the door for less then $100. Keep the changed and have switched to synthetic high mileage oil at 90 K Miles. This is my 3rd Subaru. The Outback is slightly larger then the Forester. Been kind of thinking about an Outback for my next car.

racebikes likes this.
  6. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    I love my 2011 Outback as previously stated in the other thread. The 3.6L is very powerful but with gas hitting $4 a gallon I might have to stop using my paddle shifters to pass on the highway... the 4cl is more common but you’re still carrying around awd, which is also fun, but heavy (therefor lower gas mileage).

I agree w Shady, Japanese is the way to go. I’ve always been a Toyota guy (until this run of Subaru’s). Owned 3 Corollas and loved them all. Lots of Camry ownership history too in my family. The Corolla is the most mass produced car on earth so parts are plentiful if buying used (not that anything ever breaks). In our family Toyota’s have hit 285k, 215k, 185k, 145k, and 130k; all without major engine overhaul or transmission issues. The 215k and 185k ones are still going strong (others were sold). So if you find one used at 50k it’s just barely broken in.

If gas continues to rise you’ll be very happy with a Toyota 4cl. You can always add aftermarket surf racks for cheap. I’ve got my eye on a family member’s 2000 Camry 4cl with 55k thousand miles for my next surfmobile.

7. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    Toyota Sienna van from 2008 on (moved from timing belts to timing chains in 08')
    Bulletproof, zero maintenance requirements even at 100k...

Bought ours 2 years old with 30K on it, now have 110K. Aside from tires, oil changes and a set of brakes at 80,000, nada...After driving our, son and his wife bought a new one for the family, now 130K on it..neither has had a hiccup.

In the past 30 years we've owned 2 Subaru Outbacks, two Lexus RX 350, 2 Toyota Highlanders, 3 Tahoes and the Suburban I have now. The Sienna drives better then all of them, tracks likes on rails, precise steering, 270 hp bullet proof motor that gets decent enough mileage, can fit an 11' surfboard inside, power side doors so great for kids in and out.

In that price range, easy to find one with 40k on it, put another 100K on it with zero worries. Look for an LE model, gives you the power driver seat, XLE even sweeter.

sightpoint likes this.
  8. Flip756

Flip756 Active Member

Mar 4, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    The questions you should ask yourself before beginning your search should at least start with

Car, SUV, Crossover, Wagon, Truck?

2wd, AWD, 4wd?

Is gas mileage a factor?

Will the requirements placed on the vehicle change in the foreseeable future (more kids, moving somewhere that requires 4wd etc.)?

How long do you plan on keeping the vehicle?

This is just the tip of the iceberg but will at least help start to weed out the obvious. Understanding the expectations and requirements placed on your specific vehicle will help tremendously.

I've got 12+ years experience in the auto industry and would be more than happy to share any knowledge I've accumulated.

9. racebikes

racebikes Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Thanks Flip756.

4WD is a must because NY Winters. No more kids - 2 is plenty! Not moving anywhere anytime soon. Planning on keeping it until the Tesla surf wagon becomes affordable, so a very long time. No preference for car shape - but def not a truck. Mileage is a factor for everyone but not the highest priority.