Ideas for a So Cal Surf Trip

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by GT, Jul 8, 2018.

1. GT

GT Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA California
    So my oldest (14) just detached his patella skateboarding. Maui vacation canceled while surgery / recovery happens. Youngest (12) is (obviously) devastated we are not going to Hawaii.

As compensation, I suggested we might want to take a camping / surfing trip together while Mom take care off the invalid.

Problem is all campgrounds seem filled at this time of year. I could just take a week off, stay home and drive up and down probably from San Diego to Malibu on day trips, but am thinking a few days cruising the coast with the youngster in tow might be fun.

Any ideas on how I can do this? I have options as we have a trailer as well as a Roadtrek conversion van or a tent.

davey likes this.
  2. Left Coast 46

Left Coast 46 Active Member

Apr 30, 2015
    So Cal
    I would go with the Roadtek and stop by the state campgrounds and check and see if there is spaces. I've had good luck in the past. If not, there is always Walmart and Hospital parking lots to sleep in.
    Good Luck!!
    and an detached pallet?? My Lord that doesn't sounds painful!

3. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Graham - sorry to hear about your son's injury. Hard to believe he's 14!

You know the deal with state campgrounds without reservations. If you are around Oceanside you might check out Harbor Beach parking lots. They have overnight spaces, first come first served, no reservations. It's a parking lot, but it's wedged between the harbor and the beach, literally steps to the sand and pretty consistent beach break surf. Rest rooms and fresh water outdoor showers. Stuff to do in the harbor and restaurants. Stupidly crowded this week, but after the 4th might loosen up, and there is always some turnover with people leaving. If you get down this way let me know.

4. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    Graham, I'd head north. I know that the central coast gets more winter break, but it might be nice to just go out on an adventure. Probably need a 3/2 (so much for Hawaiian water temps) but it might be a nice trip.

Camp where you can, day use and hotel/motel when needed.

John

5. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    yep, why not north...3 hours to Jalama county campground at the beach...surf early before the wind comes up, fun enough on summer wind swells, if you get lucky and if even a small south is running can be very, very good...another 3 hours north to Sand Dollar beach in lower Big Sur, passing a half dozen beachbreaks on the way which might offer another session....good camping, fun enough beachbreak with crowds rarely an issue...and if nw winds, the Big Sur rivermouth will be offshore...give yourself 5 or 6 days, be a fun road trip out of the usual crowded mix...

6. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    maybe down to Baja?

7. robsawyer

robsawyer Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Bi-Coastal
    Rent our house that we do vacation rentals out of in the summer. It’s a block or so up from the beach at t street. Surf San O or walk down t street everyday. Enjoy the big deck. Let your oldest chill / walk around town. Be a good dad! Ha!

8. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Sorry to hear about small G's knee! Skateboarding is dangerous certainly wouldn't reccomend it ;-) Hope the surgery goes well and he's back to normal soon!

Nothing to add about your trip except big sur is beautiful and pleasure point in Santa Cruz is a super fun wave if you venture that far up! Cool beach town too. C street and Leo Carrillo can be fun in summer and not too much of a zoo like Malibu. You might even sneak some uncrowded windswell at rincon, the cove can be fun on a log even when there's no official swell. Mondos just south is cruisey and friendly. Oh and Refugio and el cap state parks just north of sb are fun waves and beautiful. Suspect their campgrounds are fully booked though!

Big hellos from the family here to all you guys!

9. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    Another thumbs up for C Street over Malibu, it's a much more enjoyable vibe and plenty of waves for everyone in the water. Conversion van sounds like a good choice. Check the campgrounds as you go and as a fallback you can always find a walmart to setup for the night before heading out the next morning for dawn patrol. Pleasure point is great as well, a nice wave, good vibes, plenty of room and a lot to do in Santa Cruz with the boardwalk.

10. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    that whole C street complex is pretty cool