How was your surf today?....share your stoke!

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Cuttlefish, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    E9E32815-D782-4D0D-BF4C-E25E68CAF63B.jpeg First go out on a new to me (Jon) Wegener 8-0 “Duo” double single fin (oxymoron?). Waves weren’t that great - actually broke the golden rule and drove away from decent surf looking for greener pastures - found waist high crumblies, but it was fun to try this board out. First surf felt right so it may be a keeper (for a while anyhow). Stoked!

SReilly and shadydave like this.
  2. Komaiaboyz

Komaiaboyz Active Member

Apr 27, 2008
    Blackies was fun Sunday am. Head high to a little over. Cold and clear water.

dingdong likes this.
  3. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    Weird forecast this am: offshore/side shore @ 25 knots. In reality it was glassy until mid afternoon when a dark cloud appeared, rain painfully pelted down and up came the winds. Wind went from light to sideshore at 30+ knots. Hard to catch a wave let alone see. Forced my session to end, not prematurely as my arms were noodles anyway. Prior to the front passing got some chest to head high runners, close outs and a few cold water flushings. Rode the 8’2 Lizzy, again. Not much on the horizon. Time to fire up the rowing machine.

HerbB likes this.
  4. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    I’ve been trying to incorporate some rowing into my gym routine, but seem to start to get sore in the mid back after 10 min (even with low resistance/ very careful technique). Is this common for a beginner, or am I maybe still doing something wrong? I really want to be able to row more, as it seems like it’d translate well for water activities.

5. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    Watch the YouTube videos on technique. I have one in my basement. Until this fall and life took over I was using it 5 days a week with folding laundry as my cool down. Good full body work out. Mine is a concept 2.

6. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    That's what the gym I go to has too. I've watched the videos and try to be really careful and slow, but still get an ache after 7-10 minutes. Maybe I just need to condition some sort of rower muscle I don't quite have yet.

7. GT

GT Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA California
    Awesome day! Finally got both boys (13 & 14) out with me. Both going through "those teenage years." giving Mom and Dad a hard time. 14 y.o. completely detached his patella last July, so this was his first chance to join me and his brother.

Checked out Blackies, looked to be 5 - 6ft and dumping - not good for the 14 y.o. San O was victory at sea. Last shot was DoHo. 2-3ft crumbly, cold, side wind, brown water. Perfect. No one out.

Surfed for about an hour, both kids caught more waves than Dad. Both came out with $hit a$$ grins on their faces and giving Dad $hit about his surfing ability.

Post surf breakfast burritos were inhaled while discussing where we are going to surf in Maui this March, how we need to get out every weekend together to get ready for that, how much food we are going to eat at Aloha Mixed plate...Both fell asleep on the drive home. Great day!

8. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
  9. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Nice, what's your take on the Lizzy?

10. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Today was clean. Been a good winter so far.
    [​IMG]

longhairhippie, DJR, hankster and 5 others like this.