How was your surf today?....share your stoke!

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Cuttlefish, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Ah, bummer. I hate when that happens. And I thought the same about the 3/2 last week. We had a great run of warm water but it seemed like someone flipped the switch on November 1.

2. surflax

surflax Active Member

Mar 11, 2007
    USA Pennsylvania
    Can't be 5/4 season in NJ yet, can it? Was hoping the squid lid, boots, 3/2 would work for a little bit...

3. michael

michael Active Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    4/3 or 5/4 I'd say. Bit nippy!

4. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Couple of fun first-light sessions the past couple of mornings. I feel like surfers that undertake frequent dawn patrol sessions are perhaps the only ones that actually look forward to the fall time change. Makes it so much easier to get a good session in before work.

5/4 here in RI (new Excel), but I've been almost too toasty the past couple of days. Better too warm than too cold though. Mostly just wearing it now because the warranty clock is ticking (figure I'll do my best to wear it out over the next 5 months or so and then get it repaired under warranty when I'm looking to put it away for the spring).

5. FalseDawn

FalseDawn Active Member

I'm still in my 3/2 and just added boots this weekend. Water is definitely dropping but I surfed both days this weekend-3hrs Sunday a.m.and hands only started to get chilly in the last 45mins. I like to hold out from the hood and weight of 5/4 as long as possible though.

T-Bone and SReilly like this.
  6. deemce

deemce Active Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    5/4, boots and gloves.......NOT YET!!!! Holding out as long as possible.

T-Bone likes this.
  7. T-Bone

T-Bone Active Member

Was out for a few hours Sat in NJ, went 4/3, with 3mil gloves & boots. Overkill for sure! Took the gloves off, but to much hassle & lost water time to ditch the boots. Was sweating in the line up, and flushing to stay comfortable. Other than that, one of those days that other than for 1 nice wave/ride, everything that could go wrong for me did, and I just totally kooked it up. Frustrating to say the least. Need another session ASAP to clear that from my mind!!

Chilly Willy and deemce like this.
  8. SharkB8

SharkB8 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    Tried a Austin paipo for the first time this morning. Never tried wearing fins before and not using my arms to paddle was strange. First wave was one of those “oh shit “I’m in it no matter what. Never laughed so hard in the water. Lots of fun. Will definitely keep it in my car just in case.

Chilly Willy, T-Bone and Lackosense like this.
  9. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Active Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
    16E77555-30C9-4E12-B51B-23B9AAEA4F42.jpeg

Magic morning. Had the local solo w @michael for a good hour +. Steep high tide ... one or 2 stroke drop ins... to a lined up wall on the inside... one of those sessions where everything just connects right.

10. T-Bone

T-Bone Active Member

So after the debacle that was my Sat session, was in dire need of getting back in, with hopes I could erase the kook funk that I was left with. I was able to make it back out late this morning into early afternoon. Stomach high for the most part, with the occasional chest high or so set wave with 7 to 10 mph W winds. From wave 1 it was a big difference. Drop in, stick to the high line for a second, then slide down to a nice arc bottom turn and back up as the face starts to crumble, turn back down pick up speed and back to the open face, back down step forward to gain some speed, out run the next crumbly part, catch the next section glide a bit and kick out. Had another half dozen or so that were as good and 2 that were better, with even a half assed floater... and darn near jetty to jetty(longest NJ ride in a while). A few guys out and some conversation in the line up, was a good day. Felt good, feeling better about my surfing. Kook funk replaced with proper stoke! Went with the 4/3, no gloves no boots. Feet started getting cramps at about the 2hr mark, which was about the time I should have been heading out anyway. Will definitely put the boots on next session for sure.

Makawaosurfer93 and Chilly Willy like this.