How was your surf today?....share your stoke!

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Cuttlefish, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Nice!!! My wife and I take regular trips down to Sanibel, just a bit south of there. Like you, I only saw it surfable once -- nice knee high runners at the Blind Pass beach. The curse of seeing waves there that one time was that there was no way for me to get a surfboard -- really nowhere to find one, and otherwise no reason to bring one. That said, you really lucked out with the generous board sharer! Awesome.

2. Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Surf report: flat. Eyeball report: Not entirely flat. I found a nice little left yesterday that was small and soft, but very consistent. I decided to give it a go for the heck of it. I'm glad I did. I only got about an hour in the water before it was dark, but it was nice to slide some thigh high crumblers by myself* for a bit.

*Kind of by myself. I don't know if there's a huge striper run right now or something, but the population of fishermen has boomed in our area ever since Thanksgiving day. Just about every spot breaking up and down Seaside Park/Heights has multiple fisherman posted there. I usually try to spread out, and this spot was empty before I suited up, but two beach buggies pulled up to the exact spot I was going to surf yesterday right as I was all geared up and walking onto the beach. It was literally THE only spot breaking, so I hustled to get into the water to claim my spot before they got too comfortable and decided to stay. They were still scoping out the area and hadn't gotten their poles out, not to mention that they could just drive down the beach to anywhere else on the wide open beach. A few moments after I paddled out -- ploop! -- a striper plug lands a few feet to my left. He flung out a few other taunting casts before before catching nothing and finally going somewhere else. (Wouldn't he be better off fishing the holes instead of right on top of the sandbars anyway?) What an a-hole -- although to be fair, I'm sure he thought I was an a-hole too.

Freddibetts likes this.
  3. Roadmaster

Roadmaster Active Member

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    Surfcaster fishermen, have started fishing here as well. They like to fish close to the jetty, right where the channel is for a dry hair paddle out. Generally I am out surfing before they show up. When they do show up, I surf like they are not there, as I am surfing in a city designated surfing area. One day a group of 4 fishermen where all lined up fishing and there was trash everywhere that was not there before they showed up. I got pissed and told them to put their f......ing trash in the trashcans. They just looked at me like a bunch of idiots, I do not think I made any friends, but hey...trashing my beach!!

davey likes this.
  4. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Active Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
    Same in the Deal / Asbury Area - tons of fisherman as of recent -

5. 306Bing

306Bing Active Member

Oct 1, 2015
    Ocean City, NJ/Media, PA
  6. Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Stoked!!! I got up early today to hit dawn patrol before work, hoping that there would still be leftovers from yesterday's swell (which I missed). I took out the 9'6" Phillips pig for a bit before conceding that it was bigger and steeper than I had expected. It was walling up a little too quickly to get the early glide-in benefit of a longboard. I ran back to the car and swapped it out for my 7'4" v.Bowls. I had such a great time that I ended up taking half a personal day so I could keep surfing. I found a great little peak down the beach with a consistent right and had it mostly all to myself for a few hours. A few bigger sets coming through, and most were pretty hollow. Even got in and out of one really nice tube. Lots of fun, and even got some screen grabs of myself from the surf cam there. I surfed for 3.5 hours and am exhausted, but it was worth it.

20171207a.jpg

20171207b.jpg 20171207c.jpg 20171207d.jpg

bonzer, deemce, Freddibetts and 5 others like this.
  7. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Yesterday was pleasantly surprised with a pop-up south swell matched with offshore winds that resulted in the longest peeling lefts I have ever had at pier southside. Exactly what a mat is made for, smooth faces and lot's of speed. Not big enough to get tubed but some shoulder high set waves were fun. Today, not so much. Swell dropped.

8. Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Some snowy perfection in NJ today. Rights? Lefts? It was your pick today. Got in with some buddies for about two hours. Didn't surf as well as I might have liked but did get a nice little coverup and pulled off a few late drops. Hope you other east coasters got some!

IMG_7783.JPG

IMG_7784.JPG

9. Lackosense

Lackosense Active Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Long Beach, NY
    Yewwwwww

Chilly Willy likes this.
  10. surflax

surflax Member

Mar 11, 2007
    USA Pennsylvania
    Spring Lake was the same as what you had Chilly, what a day it was!!!

Chilly Willy likes this.