How was your surf today?....share your stoke!

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Cuttlefish, Sep 27, 2012.

1. balance_fit

balance_fit New Member

Oct 31, 2017
    Puerto Rico
    Your primary doctor has just acknowledged an utter lack of knowledge regarding physical rehabilitation and back injury management. Sorry for the rant.

Hello Salinity

Allow me to introduce myself briefly. I'm a physical therapist. And I work with the elderly. And believe me that I see and rehabilitate a lot of bad backs. May I recommend something? I'll do anyway. Don't see a neurosurgeon just yet. He's a surgeon, and that's what they do.
    Rather, if you're not under debilitating, incapacitating or paralyzing pain, see either a rehabilitation physician or a physical therapist. Conservative management should be explored in your case.
    That laying prone relieves pain, and popping up exacerbates it, suggests that you should explore rehabilitation, without surgery. I will not make any exercise recommendations here, but a modification of the popping up technique, core strengthening and very specific parameters of motion may help you avoid surgery.
    Keep us posted
    Be well
    JD

Dawnpatrol and davey like this.
  2. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    My favorite new guy here. Welcome balance_fit!

Dawnpatrol, Croweater and balance_fit like this.
  3. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Are you kidding me? Air temp in high 70s, clear sunny skies, water warmed up to 60, some nice waves including clean left glassy faces, no wind, late November, good vibes in the water. Pretty fair day. I am a lucky man.

4. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Thanks for the thoughts and ideas. My primary admits to not being well-versed in this particular type of ailment (hence the referral) and I absolutely do plan on emphasizing the exploration of non-surgical options first (PT, perhaps cortisone or similar if that’s a viable option etc). This particular neurosurgeon has a rep for only recommending surgery if there is a high chance of marked improvement, so I suppose that’s good.

To be clear, this is not a generalized “bad back”, but a nerve impingement possibly caused by disk herniation and/or osteophytes, both which were present on the MRI in an area where sciatic nerve impingement would be likely.

I’ll start a new thread for others that may benefit from info & advice (so as not to hijack the stoke thread). If you have exercises to recommend, feel free to PM me. Cheers!

Dawnpatrol and balance_fit like this.
  5. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Found more than my share of waist to chest high clean ones Thanksgiving morning! Then.......leftovers. Friday morning was smaller but even better! The wind was predicted to swing SW and chop it up early. Didn’t happen. We had full sun and perfect light offshore breeze for a long 2.5 hr session. Lined up lefts and rights. Still stoked and I know deemce is too!!

Igosurf and deemce like this.
  6. Wade In The Waves

Wade In The Waves Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA North Carolina

Don’t let him keep doing cortisone shits. It’s a false sense of repair. That is what military docs always want to do instead of fixing the problem. Make your doc do his job. Physical Therapy can work wonders. I have had it Help some issues that I never thought it would resolve. Others, it doesn’t always help solve the problem.

Croweater likes this.
  7. deemce

deemce Active Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    Finally getting to post a couple of pics. upload_2017-11-25_13-14-13.png upload_2017-11-25_13-14-49.png

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  8. glidewaves

glidewaves Member

Jul 9, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    Great story and great pictures. Nothing better than expecting nothing and seeing waves, except, I guess, the fact that someone was kind enough to loan you their board so you could have a few. I'm gonna remember that and try to pass it on next time.

deemce likes this.
  9. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    I think AK is holding out on a hidden gem in his backyard? :D

10. deemce

deemce Active Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    ha.... I thought, after the fact, that it might have been AK but I think I was too far north for him.