How is the Surf on the Outer Banks in June?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by estcstsurfer, Apr 5, 2018.

1. estcstsurfer

estcstsurfer Active Member

Aug 25, 2009
    USA Massachusetts
    Will be traveling to the outer banks in June and hope to get some surf in. Staying down near hatteras How is the surf this time of year and what are the breaks like? First time traveling hear, just trying to get an idea and what to bring for boards.

Thanks!

2. Wade In The Waves

Wade In The Waves Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA North Carolina
    I seem to get skunked whenever I go up there, but that is my favorite area. Buxton is pretty good and seems consistent though. It will be super packed that time of year and surf down this way isn't too great in the summer in general. I hope you find something though.

3. estcstsurfer

Aug 25, 2009
    USA Massachusetts
    Summertime surf on the east coast________flat____________ hope to get something, if not just enjoy the beach and the area.

4. SharkB8

SharkB8 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    Hit or miss. There are a few key spots to check. The former frisco pier, bath house, pea island stop, I’ll pm a couple less known spots. Definitely want to bring something for tiny waves.

5. estcstsurfer

Aug 25, 2009
    USA Massachusetts
  6. estcstsurfer

Aug 25, 2009
    USA Massachusetts
    I am staying near Southern Shores if that helps narrow areas down. If I can surf in front of the house we are staying at that would be even better.

7. JMJackFish

JMJackFish Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    Can get real good at almost anytime up there. Those sandbars light up pretty easily and deliver some nuggets that come/go in the blink of an eye. Grab an egg or fish plus your trusty log and you will be covered.

8. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    Agreed on holding a positive view that June could produce. Low chances for EPIC surf, but high chances for fun with the right board. June sounds incredible right now.

9. deemce

deemce Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    Bring mosquito repellant!

10. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    I used to go there almost every weekend during the warmer months. Can get very good any time of the year. Check out the Nag's Head pier first, then the Rodanthe pier and a break just a few hundred yards north of there on the way down. There are a number of piers and "secret" spots, beautiful area.