How cold is too cold for my Patagonia R3 wetsuit?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by newlyn, Jan 12, 2018.

1. newlyn

newlyn Active Member

Jul 20, 2013
    USA Pennsylvania
    Chilly: I think the R3 is 4.5/3.5.

I know I am very comfortable in it at least down to about 45 water/40 air, but I haven’t gone past that. I think tomorrow will probably be too cold, but if I decide to give it a try I will let everyone know how it works out!

2. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    What do you have as far as mitts, booties & a hood? In my opinion, those are just as, if not more critical to a temperature-based go/no-go decision than a millimeter or so of neoprene on the wetsuit.

For reference, I was in today in southern MA for 1-1/2 hrs with a budget chest-zip hooded 5-4 with 7mm boots & 6 mm mitts (and the knowledge that I had 4 gallons of hot water awaiting me in the car). I started to get cold right near the end after a big ol flush.

deemce likes this.
  3. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    I love this line:

“Also, I should note that I never pee in any of my wetsuits because that is just plain gross.“

Yeah, right. If i’m in water cold enough for a 5/4, I can’t wait to pee in my wetsuit.

Lackosense and sightpoint like this.
  4. Heavywetsuit

Heavywetsuit New Member

Feb 13, 2016
    If your wearing r5 mittens & r4 or r5 booties you’ll be fine. Surfed a total of 4.5 hours yesterday in my r3 yulex.. grow a nut sack

5. sightpoint

sightpoint Active Member

Jan 28, 2014
    2' and onshore
    Get a polypro fleece base layer. I have an Oneill one, think it's 13 oz weight, adds degreeeees of warmth.

6. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
  7. Silk123

Silk123 Active Member

Feb 11, 2005
    USA New Jersey
    I find that my feet go numb first, even in 7 mm booties with 1mm wetsuit socks, wearing an xcel 5/4. But each person is different so you gotta figure out what works for you. One thing I learned early on when surfing cold water is to be careful. Getting too cold can affect your judgement pretty badly. For me, I've learned that once I start to shiver at all, it's time to think about getting out.

Oh yeah, and paddle A LOT when it's cold. It'll wear you out quicker but it keeps you warm. I get cold real quick if I'm just sitting there waiting like I might on a normal day.

8. deemce

deemce Active Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
  9. deemce

deemce Active Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania

I agree with Silk. Feet and hands are the first to make you miserable. 7MM boots and 1MM socks here too..... and keep moving to stay warm.

10. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Try getting rid of the 1mm socks and using thin polypro socks instead. You might be constricting circulation, which will make your feet colder. Let us know if that helps.