Hotline board info?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Spritzer, May 11, 2019.

1. Spritzer

Spritzer New Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Virginia Beach
    Looking for any info (approximate age, value, model, ride quality, etc). Picked up from my cousin, it's been sitting in a board bag in a shed for years. Hotline surfboard, 6'0 x 19" - not to sure how thick. superlite glass job and obermeyer logos on the top. Has two glassed on fins and a center fin box, freestyle fin system (not to sure how to remove the center fin..?) Thanks!
    IMG_20190511_113412.jpg
    IMG_20190511_113416.jpg
    IMG_20190511_113438.jpg
    IMG_20190511_114943.jpg
    IMG_20190511_115406.jpg

2. DJR

DJR Active Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    Was a VA Bch label. Guerney was the main guy or the only one as i recall
    My wife’s last shortboard was a badass 6’1” double wing thruster from Hotline circa 1991 Was a fun ride and good build
    Believe they’re gone now
    Not sure
    Sold the board for 85 bucks to fund egg...that was sold to fund C Bucket that... you get the idea

3. DJR

DJR Active Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    That one you have is a lot prettier though and probably good fun in waist to chest

4. DJR

DJR Active Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Carolina Beach NC
    Looks like that one was shaped by Mike Beveridge

5. Zzz

Zzz Member

Aug 15, 2017
    CA
    Probably shaped in 1986 based on the number and shape/design. I don’t know about value specific to this board but decent condition mid 1980s thrusters sell frequently for $100 to $200. This one has some color but IMO isn’t particularly attractive, rare, or desirable.

DJR likes this.
  6. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    I would say early to mid 80's. To adjust or remove the Freestyle fin, you push down and slide it forward or backwards. May be stuck pretty good after all these years. Might try flushing with fresh water and tapping before you try to remove it. Found this picture on the web. The angled slot acts like a spring. You may be able to see the small bump at the middle of the base that help keep tension on the fin.
    19287891.jpg

DJR likes this.
  7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    That's a new system for me, thanks for taking the time to post the info.

8. Basenji703

Basenji703 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I would also guess mid 80's or a bit earlier. If it says Obermeyer, then he did the airbrush. I can ask him if he remembers when he was doing airbrushes for Guerney. Just sent Ed a message. We shall see what he says.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  9. Spritzer

Spritzer New Member

Apr 27, 2019
    Virginia Beach
    Thanks everyone for all the info and help! This center fin is kicking my ass, maybe I'm too gentle for fear of breaking it.
    But It's really interesting to have this board older than I am, and to think some one was surfing it at the same spots I surf but 30+ years ago. I'm excited to take it out and flop around on it like a fish out of water lol.

10. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    If you really want to remove the fin, try this. Fill the fin channel with a mix of vinegar and water. Maybe 1 part vinegar to 3 parts water. The acid in the vinegar will dissolve the salt crystals. Let it soak for a day or so. While its soaking, vibrate the fin by tapping it repeatedly for a couple of minutes. Tap the top, sides, front, with a mallet, or use a hammer and protect the fin with a block of soft wood. You are just tapping, not beating on it. Tap several times a day, for a few days. When you are ready to try and remove it, have a helper hold the board firmly while you press down and try to move the fin. I used this method to remove a frozen head from my 49 Hudson. Just be patient.

Spritzer and DJR like this.