Hood recommendations

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by hullogfish, Dec 31, 2017.

1. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
  2. ElBrooklyn

ElBrooklyn Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    NYC-EH-MTK and LBC
    I'd just note that even with the cowl/gaiter that tucks in under the collar, I find that the separate hoods tend to come undone and allow flushing. I like the hood connected to a vest so you can keep the seal tight no matter what. Plus, you get the extra warmth in the chest.

3. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    This one kicks ass cause the cowl/gaiter thing is split with a longer piece to go inside and thicker piece outside. Stays in place real well. My girl does that fainting goat thing off the side of her board if the wave closes out, which leads to often hilarious- for me - tumblings and she wasn't getting flushed.
    Agree about the vest with one caveat though- the vest piece should be a 1.5+ mil neoprene top and not just a rash guard. Those are an ill fitting gut bunch titty crunch nightmare.

IMO the separate hood works best with chest zip suits.

ElBrooklyn likes this.
  4. Silk123

Silk123 Active Member

Feb 11, 2005
    USA New Jersey
    This isn't exactly what was asked for but just my thoughts. For me, in NJ, I always buy my 4/3s and 5/4s with attached hoods. There's rarely a need for a 4/3 and not a hood (for me at least - everyone is different). And you can always pull the hood down. Not the most comfortable but it's not that bad.

I do have a detached hood but I only use it for when the water is still a decent temp but you have cold winds or air temp and need to keep the ears warm. In those cases, the flushing isn't as big of a deal.

ElBrooklyn likes this.