Hood recommendations

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by hullogfish, Dec 31, 2017.

1. hullogfish

hullogfish Active Member

Dec 22, 2006
    USA California
    I have a Rip Curl Hood, pictured, but when duck diving, water seems to get into the hood. I'm assuming around my face. The hood fits plenty snug, so I'm wondering if this is just a common issue with these. Any recommendations on a better hood that water won't get into? I see that they make some that are hooked to a vest that adds extra warmth. I'm tempted to buy one of these but really want some input on some that you guys have had good luck with. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    Modify your duck dive. Make sure you're entering the water Top of head first instead of face- or even forehead- and coming up that way too.
    It's a different approach for sure and while getting water in your hood out there is annoying or a bit chilly it's down right icicle through the 3rd eye deadly painful in New England. Plus
    You don't have to do a complete chin to chest hard tuck, just a slight bend and lower. <-- and stay straight. The side flap water trap is a classic too.
    Think more seal vs Alanna Blanchard.
    Good luck!
    You can come out this way to practice. Igloo is always open.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  3. ElBrooklyn

ElBrooklyn Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    NYC-EH-MTK and LBC
  4. runlong

runlong Member

Nov 5, 2007
    had good luck with O'neil. That and a 3/2 full gets me through any windy,cool water winter So Cal sessions.

5. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Same thoughts about the technique -- you'll soon figure out what flushes your hood and what doesn't. Usually it will flood in around your face and turn your hood into a bag of cold water.

It's also worth noting that, depending on your head, some hoods might fit better than others. I've noticed a lot of hoods (hooded suits) running small and not covering as much of my big melon as I'd like. The best fit for me was a Rip Curl with a drawstring so I could adequately cover my head and chin and cinch the drawstring nice and tight.

6. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Drawstring helps for sure.

No problems ever with any O'Neill or Xcel hood I've tried, but I make sure I don't over size them.

Not a fan of skullcaps that finish just at your hairline, exposing the neck. I like hoods with a gaiter of some sort.

7. CT Charlie

CT Charlie Member

Jul 22, 2017
    SNJ
    I agree with the above posts regarding the hood with a drawstring (in the front of course) and a gaiter to tuck in to your suit. I believe there are several brands to choose from. My sons use a hood/vest combo that is very versatile during transition seasons from 3/2 to 4/3 mil +. The combo can be worn alone or under a 3/2. You may want to check on patagonia's website for deals as well. Btw, we have 23F here today with blizzard like conditions. Waiting for the wind to lie down and may take a go at it. All the best.

8. little juanito

little juanito Member

Mar 2, 2013
  9. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
    I recently picked up a Need Essentials hood. I have no previous hood experience aside from those that were built into the suit. Although there was no sizing info on the company website, I ordered a Large and it seems to fit and work just fine. I like that it has a chest and back flap that I can tuck down into my wetsuit. I can surf for hours and pull it off with my hair still dry. $25

10. deemce

deemce Active Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    Looks good at a great price.
    I usually have to go to my 5/4 when I need a hood due to cold air. My 4/3 does not have a hood and this hood looks like a good gap fit. It is sold out until March but they will email you when they come back into stock. +1