History lesson: old surfboard registration decals

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Chilly Willy, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    And localism was born...

2. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Hmmm, this isn't all bad. Need to be in "The Club" to surf, others not allowed, clear out the lineup from the riff-raff, with the money raised we could have parties, and build fences with gates, and hire gate keepers, maybe extend it to shapers and shops that have to be approved by "The Club" and pay fees to do business and put "The Patch" on their boards, maybe have a slice of the fees go to help fund Jerry Brown's train-to-nowhere. We could have jackets, and board shorts, and patches, and we could all get tattoos, and hang out at bars and pick up chicks that want to hang with "The Club" (but would never be allowed to join). And brew our own beer, "The Club" IPA! The more I think about this the better I like it, except I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be allowed in "The Club".

Makawaosurfer93 likes this.
  3. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Haaaa... I just had that same thought as I was reading that.

4. deemce

deemce Active Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    The 66 Weber Performer I picked up has a Lavalette sticker on it. Even though it is pretty faded out, I left it alone for the nostalgia of it.

Chilly Willy likes this.
  5. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    I disagree with the Club Members Only deal. At least as far as I remember it. Now you MAY have had to be a resident of NB to get a sticker(?)
    But anyway you cut it, bullshit, pure and simple. There may be all sorts of closed off beach scenes on the East Coast, little munis doing things differently than a neighbor might, but this NB crap was the only one I know of on the West Coast. That's why people were outraged. Also, keep in mind that surfers were not a power broking group in any level of politics back then. Not like today. Just look at the Dana Point f-ing Harbor.

PeakMaster, Chilly Willy and nedsurf like this.
  6. T-Bone

T-Bone Active Member

I have an old Hansen mid length Doyle Model w/the rice paper lam that has a Lavallette "Surf Board Permit #271" that I have thought about doing some research on, but just haven't done it yet. Maybe this will prompt me to see what I can find out about it, and post it up here.

Chilly Willy and Makawaosurfer93 like this.
  7. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    These decals are the surfing history equivalent of the Confederate flag. An undeniable part of surfing history...at least in NJ, just not the best part.

8. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Active Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    I LL GET IN LINE. LOVE STICKERS OF ANY KIND.

9. applekat

applekat Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    You sure, S?

I have a few sitting around just begging for placement:

(Guest bathroom, perhaps?)

image.jpeg