Hilbers/Fineline new boards Stoke

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cuda, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Thanks

You do have great taste in boards Cuda

2. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    thank you for the complement. poidog you too.

3. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    That little bit o bite on that Micro will be the highline call for the wall and down rail projection for the section. Outrageous outline and color way on that one too.
    You've got some solid fun times ahead.
    Congrats man.

4. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    So... Surfed either yet?

5. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Micro AntIII still dialing in had about 10 waves. very hully, more temperamental than anticipated- requires a more nuanced approach than other MicroAnts. I like that its funky. Biggest issue after the 1st session is the fin set up feels too grabby. This is my first go round with this kind of set up. Placement was off and center fin is too long. ordered a smaller center fin should solve that.

HotGen - as expected but with the added nibbleness of a smaller package - feels like ballroom dancing to LedZepp. Im sure I could have gone a bit smaller but I wanted it for the longboard days that arent well suited for noserider boards. 7'8" feels perfect.

I'll update you on the MA soon

Lackosense and Planktom like this.
  6. pefa

pefa Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Bi
    stunningly stunning and functional as usual D
    lawn looks smashing as well.....

Bighouse likes this.
  7. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    updating this thread since some had asked for reviews.

Honestly i was a little perturbed with the 6'10 it just never got that Hilbers feeling over the course of shuffling through center fin options. I considered selling it as some of you know.

Finally one day I yanked the side bites and put a 9" Volan 4a dead center in the box and Voila! all the delay on take off, sticky, cluncky feeling turns was over and it surfed great - predictable single fin, eggy/hully; peanut butter/chocolate - "half-breed hull." BJH

Fortunately though, I wasnt completely satisfied as it still felt too ordinary. I considered cutting down the sidebites and kept looking for what might be the ideal 1 +2 set up. I finally found and ordered a 8'5" narrow base GL flex or so i thought. A week went by with no " your order has shipped" email and then I get the apology email saying the fin is out of stock - discontinued. They said they had a 9" version and so I figured what the hey I'll give it a shot.
    When I plugged all the fins in the set up looked good but I was feeling tentative about "wasting" a session on a hunch. I packed a plan B board in the car off i went, the waves looked fun, so I said fuqit and paddled out into fun clean waist plus freezing cold conditions.

From the 1st wave It was like a whole different ballgame. The board felt like it came alive. Great drive off the bottom and very fluid through turns. Compared to the single it didnt seem to suffer that slight delay you get when wrapping a tight turn and it felt like i could even tighten things up more without bleeding off a ton of speed.

I was stoked! Finally.

This is what i had hoped for when cutting down the length so dramatically from 8'. It was obviously is going to a wholly different board but I was hoping to trade-off some glide and gain a lot more perkiness.
    It took a while to get this dialed in but it was worth the effort. I hate blowing sessions - especially in frigid winter conditions due equipment funk though in hindsight i probably like this board more having hated it at 1st. lulz

...and moral of the story kids - fins make a difference the right fins make a lot of difference.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    DanSan, michael and dingdong like this.
  8. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Cool report..
    I had a microant III...10 yrs ago..loved it...
    Ent it to a friend..he ruined it...
    Moral..somewhere in there..

Anywho..since i have fowler V8.. curious..
    What is that nice fin in the pic..cant quite make it out...