Here goes my first board build

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by SharkB8, Nov 30, 2018.

1. SharkB8

SharkB8 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    E736EA27-F0AC-4A2B-B480-AF69331EAA76.jpeg 9AB60893-A9F7-48DD-AFA9-5B747649D706.jpeg 2D78E234-D0CE-4C2B-A8CD-A597BEAE235D.jpeg 6373F06B-9A4B-4FE9-B165-7ED2BA52631D.jpeg E736EA27-F0AC-4A2B-B480-AF69331EAA76.jpeg .Old busted Al Merrick for free sitting around. Should I make a sign, a mailbox, or let’s spend a ton of time and build something I know nothing about.
    Yup! So cut it all up and thought paipo. Then a buddy of mine showed me his collection of 30+ hand planes.
    So I’d like to make him one. All of his are hand carved wood and he will appreciate the thought. It will probably be a really bad example but so far other than the mess it’s been fun.
    Looks like I might be able to get 3 from the blank. First one is the test dummy. You won’t hurt my feelings. Already have a new appreciation for builders.
    Tried some yellow streaks and tinted the lam with a different yellow. So far cutting the lap and holding it in place was the hard part.

Tenfooter, Roadmaster, DJR and 6 others like this.
  2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Excellent project and very good way to get started avoiding a big $ investment and keeping stress low. Are you using PE resin? What oz. cloth? It’ll definitely increase your appreciation and add to your skills. Thanks for sharing.

3. GearNut

GearNut Member

May 7, 2009
    USA Maryland
    I will be down in a couple weeks and look forward to seeing the progress. Maybe that guy down the street will give you some pointers.

4. SharkB8

SharkB8 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    Using all uv cure so I get a longer time working with it. All 4oz. Already had it for ding repairs. Got a few tips from a x local shaper but the best way to learn is to mess up trying. Only had to buy some laminating resin and fin rope. Should be finished with the first one next week. I’ll update with pictures as it goes.

5. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

Congrats, SB8! The shapes and the resin work are mighty impressive for a first timer. Looking forward to seeing the continued progress. Making a board for myself has been something that's been on my bucket list for a while. Seeing people like you go for it pushes me closer to checking that box.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  6. SharkB8

SharkB8 Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    I took sculpting classes and now do auto collision work for a living. A lot of metal shaping and filler work for almost 20 years. I see contours and lines a little different than most people. I’m horrible at wood working so lucky for me the stringer is a small part of the project.
    I spent many days hanging with Austin in the shop. Not the showroom but the “factory “. I knew this was not happening in a day. The process has so many steps that can turn it all into garbage.
    Hopefully next year I will have my garage built. I want to do a full longboard. Austin lives down the street from me and said he would supervise. He quickly said no glassing. I’m starting to see why. Austin always told me everyone should build at least one board.They would appreciate the work the real guys put in. His rules were simple. If you shape it you must glass it. If you glass it you must ride it.
    I can’t remember who but someone skimmed off the skin of a blank and glassed it. Had a video of it all the way through and being surfed. How bad can it be?
    Screw it First Point Eric. Do it! There is places that have everything needed and ya it might cost a couple bucks more but the savings of clean up might be better. I personally have never tried a hand plane so I won’t know how bad it really is.
    Side note: pictures don’t show all the imperfections and woops moments.

DJR likes this.
  7. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Nice, SharkB8!

Couldn't agree more with Austin. Tried to shape a balsa blank once. I thought (past tense) I had a good eye for that sort of thing. World of difference between discerning good or bad from already shaped boards, and shaping one yourself. I ended up selling the blank to JMJackfish for a song and he had it shaped into an actual surfboard. (JM, love to get a ride report btw.)

The whole thing gave me a whole new appreciation for shapers. Talent + hours of work + health risks = me never complaining about board prices. They deserve what they can get. Usually more, much more.

8. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Good job ShB8! Yep I two agree with Austin. Everyone should shape one or two boards in their lifetime to gain an appreciation for what shapers and glassers do for a living. I shaped and glassed a board years ago. All I can tell ya is that I never did it again!

9. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Nice! Looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress, so feel free to post more as you go.

I finally gave in and scratched my shaping itch myself and bought a blank on sale. I'm diving into the full size learning experience -- life is short, so why not. One thing I will say is even though I haven't even touched a pencil to the foam let alone cut into it, the process has already opened my eyes to a whole new world of surfboard design that I never contemplated until now. It's really the first time that I stepped back and looked at the foil, inspected the rails, thought about nose/tail rocker, etc. with the intention of understanding how it works and why I like the way that certain boards ride. Who knows if I will shape myself a giant turd or not, but I definitely have a whole new respect for the craft.

10. HerbB

HerbB Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    My first homemade one #0001

P7090016.JPG

Tenfooter, deemce, DJR and 2 others like this.