Help Picking New Board (Transitioning Down from Hot Generation/Hull)

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by KDenning, Feb 10, 2019.

1. KDenning

KDenning Member

May 14, 2015
    Hey All,

Reaching out for some input. A very brief background: grew up logging in Florida, never surfed anything under 9'6. Moved to Ventura, CA in August and picked up an 8'5 Hot Generation for bigger days at the point and fell in love right away.

What I'm looking for:

I'm in love with driving the hot generation from the middle and connecting sections that I could never make on the logs I grew up surfing. The only thing that I'm missing is the feeling of getting back on the tail for quick turns that I love on my pin tail logs. Can anyone weigh on on a board that I can surf from the middle with a nice, narrow stance and still be able to drop some weight through my back foot and surf a bit more vertically than my hull? I'll be surfing mostly long point waves of C Street and Rincon but also want something I can throw around in the beach breaks in our back yard (living one lane up from the dredge in Ventura)

Hopefully all of this verbiage makes sense.
    Thanks in advance for any input!

2. kclibman

kclibman Active Member

May 23, 2018
    L.A. County
    @mitch44 and @BrazilButtNut can school you for days re: alternative boards that work for Ventura, and I may be speaking for one of them, but I can bet someone's going to say a Russ Short, 6'8" - 7"4".

3. mitch44

mitch44 Active Member

Sep 3, 2018
    California
    Sounds like you'd respond well to a wide point back "evolution" style shape since you're used to that hard back foot pivot from your log but still want forward trim like your Hot Gen.

My first pick would be the Klaus Jones Evo pin- he's an OG local to Ventura and can shape you one hell of a custom one of these for a super fair price. I've worked with him on a few shapes and he nails it. VSS gets them in from time to time as well.

Lovelace V Bowls would be the more expensive and popular cousin to the KJ evo pin but still a great option.

Getting a little more hull-y but with more neutral templates that respond amazing off the back foot:

2 words......ANDREINI VAQUERO. The hype is real.

Fineline egg is always a great option as well...hull up front, egg-ish out the back.

All of these have amazing mid board effortless trim but crank turns primarily off the back foot, the evolution style boards being the most back foot/pivot friendly.

Those are my top picks- Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Ticowannabe likes this.
  4. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Bruce fowler....would.be a good choice..
    Also

5. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    Have to say it again, the Rusty Big Cat at around 7' is ridiculously good at points. A Rusty DI at 7'10", however, might be more what you're looking for. Both loosen up and take off when you put your back foot over the fins. Not the fashionable choice these days, but excellent rides.

Ticowannabe and JMJackFish like this.
  6. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    Just connecting dots, but sounds like a pintail hull may do the job. Something like a serena or a more pintail glider type like the thick lizzy?

McQuad likes this.
  7. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    if you like the hot gen then go with what Mitch is saying and add to the list of choices Hilbers MicroAnt III

McQuad likes this.
  8. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
  9. KDenning

KDenning Member

May 14, 2015
    Thanks for the input everyone, hard to beat the knowledge and stoke on here! Hopefully this helps someone else somewhere down the line!

Thanks Kclibman, Mitch, DanSan Pintail, Michael, Cuda, and Freddie!

I've had my eye on a v.Bowls since they started gaining a little bit of traction the east coast before I moved out west. It looks like I will finally get my shot at one soon, an 8 foot pin tail. I'm excited to see what I think.

The Vaquero is definitely high on the list as well but seems to frequent craigslist and the classifieds even less than v bowls and I've yet to see a thick lizzy on the used market in time to even make an offer!

If we stay in the Ventura area I'd love to go talk with Klauss and come up with something just right.

For what it's worth, I'm 200lb and 6'1. I was 180 when I moved from Florida but working a 6 month contract in Portland, Oregon added on the pounds in no time. Any discussion about downsizing from logs to this mid-length and below realm also welcome!

Thanks all,
    Kirk

10. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    cool on the vbowls. they are a lot of fun.

As for down sizing the 1st thing you are going to need to get used to is reading the wave better. I love longboarding but it can develop a lot of bad habits in particular to this discussion catching waves from out on the shoulder and "going straight." The ease of paddling a longboard lets us pick up waves "early" and out on the shoulder if you choose. The shorter the board the more critical it becomes to get to the peak. Also, you will realize that with an 8' board you will want to sit a bit farther inside than you may be used to. You are still on a relatively long board so the change may be not super significant but, I suspect you will notice that you are not going to be gliding into waves the same way you would on a 10'er.
    Anyhow, so much is just getting out there and making it up as you go. Switching up boards in general, takes a little adjustment in approach every time. Basically, going shorter means you have a little less reaction time on your part either due to catching the wave later or the board you are riding is going respond differently to rider input.

Lastly, and in particular to the vbowls (comparing it to the HotGen) you want to be a little father forward on the board than you think when paddling into the wave. I think this is a rocker thing not an issue as much as a nuance. Also, these like later take offs (especially compared to a longboard but also the HotGen) and this is where that rocker comes in handy. Lastly, while you can just trim the real enjoyment of the vbowls is found in how well they turn, they surf a lot shorter than they actually are and work especially well with a good flex fin. If it came with a Lovelace fin try it and see how it feels. I have found different fins that work better for me. If you have a Hiblers template try that for comparison.

here's Burch on a 7'10

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    michael and Chilly Willy like this.