help picking a new surf vehic

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cuda, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    I love that Hiace. What a great surf vehicle.

dsquare likes this.
  2. Roadmaster

Roadmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
  3. Flip756

Flip756 Active Member

Mar 4, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    thomas and Mizrachi like this.
  4. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    the Ford Flex is a great rig with hella interior room, high dependability ratings, solid awd..rented one for a couple weeks on an east coast winter consulting gig, thought highly of it..can be found for reasonable prices..
    [​IMG]

thomas and Flip756 like this.
  5. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    Ditto. I drove a rental recently and really liked it. Looks smaller but very spacious inside. 3 rows of seats that fold down flat. Head turning styling. Easy entry in and out (don’t have to step up into it).
    Only complaint was the visibility out the back... I’m just not used to trusting backup cameras yet.

6. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    For a lot of years I drove a Ford Taurus Station Wagon (2 of them actually, one wouldn't pass California emissions so bought another) , great surf vehicle. Other than head room it had everything I needed, and was a stealth surf van to boot. Put 11 footers inside and still have room to sleep, good gas mileage, comfortable, not a camper but got the job done. Roof rack for when I needed it. I'm a bit of a minimalist, overblown vehicles costing 30k plus don't do it for me, but I'm an old school guy with simple needs. Newer wagons like the one above make sense to me. I still drive a Honda Pilot, will take a 10'6 inside, sleep, all my gear. I've had it since new (2003) and it served as a ski wagon when I worked in the industry for many years in the Rockies and works at the beach. 179k miles, hope it goes to 350k+. Easy-peezey.

SeniorGrom and Wade In The Waves like this.
  7. Roadmaster

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    I have my eye on this van and if the dealer still has it by spring time may have to make a road trip to Iowa of all places. Look at that interior

Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 8.05.59 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-08 at 2.30.17 PM.png

8. Wade In The Waves

Wade In The Waves Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA North Carolina
    If it is in Iowa, you will want undercarriage pictures. Rust is definitely a concern there.

9. Roadmaster

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    Yea, I know it is in the rust belt and they show no underside photos but for a 1993 having 140,000 miles it may have been a nice weather only van. if still there in a month of so I will get in touch with the Ford dealer. The dealer who sold it in 93, got it back as a trade in recently.