help picking a new surf vehic

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cuda, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    conversion vans were part of our fleet for decades until we moved to Oregon and preferred awd/4x4 for all rigs. With extended roof and sofa bed in the back, nothing better for hauling boards, family, overnight camping, or winter surfing...sit on sofabed to don wetsuit out of the cold...end of session, turn on the engine and heaters, back onto the sofabed to peel off wetsuit, wet feet in changing tub...takes all the sting out of the worse part of winter surfing, changing...once we relocate to warmer climes, my 4x4 Suburban will be replaced with another raised roof van..

DJR likes this.
  2. rootdown

rootdown Member

Mar 21, 2017
    Rhode Island
    I will never not have a van. I love my vw eurovan, even with every loving sensor blinking and constant beeping, mystery rattles and hisses, and non working doors.

Surfnfish likes this.
  3. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island

This is my DREAM build- not the inside- queen size bed? Cracker, Please!
    Aside- All my vans are 1990's E-150's conversion or cargo and have been after a machine Exactly like this one for some time.
    If this is everything the ad says it is that ask price is pretty reasonable. Kind of reasonable.
    What a sick f%$#ing Rig. Damn...

4. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    I read an extensive writeup on the Sprinters failure of the exhaust system and catalytic converter system. Google it. Guy owned 50 of them or so for a rapid delivery business he owned. Super costly 02 and related sensor failures....$6K repair per.

5. deemce

deemce Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    Does anyone go Van anymore?
    Everytime I pull up somewhere with all my boards, gear, food, water, etc inside, room to change- Inside in the Winter - and proceed, I hear the same thing Every time from at least one or 2 dudes freezing outside...

Yep Keith...that would be me standing outside my Outback freezing my cohones!

DJR likes this.
  6. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Inspired by Keith's setup and seeing a few awesome Sportsmobiles on trips to Baja when I lived in SD, I've been keeping a lookout on CL for a conversion / camper-type van in the hopes of someday grabbing one (when my actual shelter decides to allow me to once again have some "disposable income").

7. JMJackFish

JMJackFish Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    Wish the new VW Camper was a 4x4 diesel and available now. I'd get in line with the rest of you for that dream rig.

8. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    I drive Forester. My 3rd I’m now thinking of going with the Outback for my next Subaru. Outback is roomier a little more civilized and for towing you can get the six cylinder.

T-Bone likes this.
  9. Artz

Artz Active Member

Nov 22, 2018
    Florida
    If you can afford one Mercedes makes a 4x4 Sprinter. I wonder if you could get a 4x4 conversion on a Ford Transit Van? THere is a rumor that the Ram Pro Master Van will have a 4x4 in the near future.

T-Bone likes this.